Saturday, June 20, 2015

Late June, 2015. Yes, 2015

Is it really possible to be in love with both Stephen Colbert and the pope?

I had very strange dreams last night--have been lately, probably because of the change in night noises. In this case, that means the window unit that keeps us cool enough to sleep. Last night, a storm changed things up a bit. But anyway, I woke up this morning with a strange craving for Fresca and I wanna go tubing.



I want to at least peek in on my sister later today, who is convalescing from a hip replacement. And then, tomorrow is Father's Day, and we will be going to see my father-in-law, who has just had a knee replacement.

When people ask me if there's any news with us, I'm usually at a loss. I should say, Good news! Neither one of us is having a knee or hip replacement.  Mike and I are still here, still going to work every day, still healthy, and still playing Scrabble. Mike is actually running outside these days, not always on the treadmill, as he had been for a long period of time. So far, so good, he's not injured. I'm either running or walking every day, trying not to hurt the aging knees.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The latest national tragedy is the shooting of  nine  people in a church in South Carolina, a church that happens to be historically African American. The shooter was a 21-year-old who admits his guilt and states that he wanted to start a race war.  It's hard to fathom how anyone could think that African Americans are taking over this country. There is no understanding this. It's a crying shame that it's so damned easy for anyone to be armed and therefore dangerous. If the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings did not change spark change, I fear nothing will. Scary, sad, depressing.

I did not mean to take a walk on the dark side this morning. When I heard this news, I'd just finished reading the novel, The Orphan Master's Son, by Adam Johnson, which takes place in North Korea. I was feeling so thankful for not being in a country like that.

And I am. I like to think that the people who choose to do horrible violent things are rare, and that the majority of people are hurt and outraged by these actions. I like to think that the enlightened population is growing. I like to think that the current pope is a sign of the coming tipping point, when logic, reason, and tolerance will finally take over.

Breathe in, breathe out...












3 comments:

Bone said...

I've been reading more, but haven't been running as much. It's just so unbearably hot and humid here. Have you thought of biking? I've been thinking about it as I get older. Would be much easier on my knees, I'd imagine.

I echo your sentiments about Sandy Hook.

TLP said...

It's good to remember to be grateful about being healthy. Not everyone is that lucky.

Life seems boring until you realize that excitement is not always a good thing.

I hope Bob is doing well with his knee. Della continues to be doing great with her hip.

Jocelyn said...

Oh, now I must add The Orphan Master's Son to my Goodreads list! Hee.

The Fresca and tubing line cracked me up. And happy no-bodily-replacement!