Sunday, March 01, 2015

Rabbit Rabbit, Happy Lucky March!



This picture is called TEMPUS FUGIT, by Eileen Sorg.  Time sure is passing, and February could not make tracks soon enough. Tracks. Perhaps I should not have mentioned them. It's was--beastly. 

Today, March 1st, is March Hare Day. Well, probably not, but in my mind it is. After all, March is the month when the weather can do anything and everything, but in the end--it's spring. I mean, it will be spring!  Let's not forget that. 

Last night's last February movie was And So It Goes, starring Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas. Rotten Tomatoes does not give it a very good rating, but I thought it was pretty good--well acted, not tedious, and rocked a very happy ending.  It's true that the plot isn't dense and the ending doesn't surprise, but I still enjoyed watching Diane Keaton do that charming thing she does, and Michael Douglas being so comically crass and lousy. (He's got some really funny lines, in my humble opinion.) I've developed a soft spot for older coming of age stories--I mean, the stories of people solving problems and coming to terms with life at an older age. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since it's a new month, I feel the need to launch into a book list. These are the books I've read so far this year. 

The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton. Fabulous! Talk about dense plots...(this book straddled years, so it looks like I read more than I did.)

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry, by Gabrielle Zevon.  Short, sweet, and very endearing. I liked it very much.

The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace, by Jeff Hobbs.  Nonfiction. Fascinating and sad.

The Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula Le Guin. The first in a series, this is fun, well-written sci-fi.

Beatitude, by Larry Closs.  No, it's not a religious thing--the title refers to the beat writers and poets. Specifically, the friendship between a couple of young men who are rather obsessed with them.

I am currently reading Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand. She also wrote Seabiscuit, so I knew this would be an engaging read. 

The "to be read" pile keeps growing! And now, I must stop typing, sit on my hands, and let someone else have a turn....







3 comments:

TLP said...

You've read a lot for just two months! Good going.

I just finished Lydia's Party by Margaret Hawkins. I got it from the library. I recommend it, but you have all the TBR you need.

March started out as bad as all the rest of this winter. Boo. Bah. And also humbug.

actonbell said...

Yes, Mom, but next week looks promising! It'll be 50 degrees on Wednesday, with rain instead of snow! March march march....

Jocelyn said...

I am endlessly interested in people's book recommendations, so thank you. When I read THE LUMINARIES, it was such a reading journey, as I'd never encountered anything like it before. Yay for a new kind of reading experience!