Monday, October 20, 2014

More October

So many conversations start, "Is it really ______________ already?" where the blank is filled in with a date, not a time of day. The hours often crawl, but only during working hours, while the days speed by. The weekends are over in a flash.

Time's passing brings change, and one  I'm looking forward to happening next year has not been announced yet, so the suspense is building...The bank I work for might be forced to shorten its hours because the stock holders want to see a reduction in operating expenses. (The company's stock is already doing well, but apparently not well enough.) Surely, we will still be open more hours than any other bank around here, but scuttlebutt has it that the drive-thru will no longer need to be staffed until 8:10 pm every single night--perhaps only Thursday and Friday. If the entire bank can close at 6:10 pm most days, that will make a nice difference in my life. Right now, with just two part time tellers, we full timers are picking up some closing shifts. And for some reason, every time I work a closing shift, it's followed by an opening one. Swing! Get home after 8 pm, get up at 6 am and do it again. Drat.

It can't be helped, and I'm not complaining about the way things are now, but I'll be elated if we get a break next year. And, I must add, complaining has recently gotten a couple people fired...recently, it was decreed (passive voice invoked for lack of knowledge) that about half the teller chairs in each branch had to be confiscated. It was some strange, mean-spirited decision that caught us by surprise, and a teller at a neighboring branch blasted the company on Facebook, which was not a smart move. She was gone very quickly. Another teller just got canned for getting into an argument with the assistant manager of her branch. She'd been there for five years, and was a conscientious, hard worker, so I was flabbergasted at that news. Since I would like to stay employed until the end of 2019, I'm going to be make a point of being very quiet. My age already makes me different, so it will take some extra cautiousness to fly under all the radar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This weekend, I took the plunge and created an account on a local meetup site. I've been afraid of doing this, but there's really no obligation to make good on this threat of meeting people. I'm starting extremely small, which in this case means me and ONE other woman running around town on ONE Thursday morning. Yes, I am creating an obligation to show up and run, because that's what things have come to. (Next week, not this one, since it depends on my swinging schedule.) And I'm getting a lot of email updates, beckoning me to come to many events, the more the merrier.

That day, Oct 30th, will be very scheduled, since I will then go straight from work to the burg's library to hear a talk on paranormal and ghosty things. I have no idea what to expect, but it's almost guaranteed to be interesting. It does mean that I'm skipping our trick-or-treat night; Mike will be away with his high school buds, and I'm working late enough to miss part of the parade, anyway. The few we get, that is.

Hmm, it'll be interesting to see how I deal with so much action :)







9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I'm always fascinated by the details of people's work lives, and so I lapped up this post. That change of hours would be HUGE in your life and the structure of your days, for sure.

I'll be curious about the meet-up "group," as I'm someone who has no desire to run with others, yet they're always trying to schedule "running dates" with me. Hmmm.

actonbell said...

Jocelyn, I've always run alone, but lately, I could use some obligation to get out of the door...oy.

TLP said...

You used to run with someone, didn't you? A guy?

I wish I could make myself do most anything. I'm so lazy, I impressed myself...it's the one thing I'm truly good at these days.

beach lad said...

"(Next week, not this one, since it depends on my swinging schedule.)"

....that made me laugh - I didn't know you engaged in such activity.

actonbell said...

Mom, that was Roger, and it was a random thing. Ha, Beachboy:)

actonbell said...

Beach lad, I can't read your blog
:(

beach lad said...

??? I think I may have mucked around with something I shouldn't have

tsduff said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog - it's been a long time. Perhaps if I returned to blogging some of the joy would return to my life. We've been so involved with the drama of this unwanted move, giving my notice at work, and well, packing. It's worth a thought.

actonbell said...

Terry, good luck to you, and I hope you do start posting!