Friday, November 01, 2013

Rabbit, rabbit!

Happy November 1st!  AND we get back that hour this weekend, too. And by "we" I mean those of us who live in places where Daylight Savings Time will end.

It's been a rough week; bright and early on Monday morning, something like one of my nightmares happened. A man came into the bank, dressed all in black, including a black ski mask and a black handgun. There were two of us in the lobby, one teller (me), and a CSR/supervisor on the platform. The rest is pretty fuzzy to me right now, but yes, he pointed a gun at us and demanded everything. He was menacing, disbelieving that this could possibly be all the money I had. It was a surreal experience, but it was over quickly.

The supervisor who stood with me that morning is feeling very angry. For me, that's not the feeling. It's simply shock and awe for me, that someone's life could possibly be so out of control and messed up that this is what he's come to. And being armed means that he risked doing an awful lot of time for--not a very glamorous amount of money.

The whole thing had a depressing effect on me, part of the gloom I already felt, I suppose. And then yesterday, we all dressed up for Halloween, and it gets old working in costume and working around coworkers who are too distracted with the costume contest and to actually work. At least three of us left work yesterday with our grump on, so...


Yay! It's Friday! I am promising myself right here on this blog to get up and run both days, as it will be sunny and pretty this weekend, and to remember that life is good. Annoying and trying sometimes, but good.


Any weekend plans? Do tell, I love ideas...

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh, sweetheart, that's horrifying. I mean, seriously. You have every right to a Good Grump.

The life of that hold-up man--where you have to wonder what went wrong--takes me to my next point:

At the risk of being obnoxious, I wanted to direct you to a post I’ve put up on a not-the-usual blog. Here’s the link, and the password is 28notes.

http://dipwads.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/yet-ive-never-had-a-class-in-social-work-or-counseling-notes-from-a-community-college-teacher/

actonbell said...

Thank you for the link, Jocelyn, I will cherish that :)

tsduff said...

Wow!!!! I used to work for Cal Fed Bank (later swallowed by Citibank in the Corporate Security Dept. I composed the Robbery Reports which went to the FBI and local law enforcement agencies... it was a great job. I rolled through the bank security videos and selected the most pertinent pictures of the bad guys...what a trip! I am so sorry to hear about your experience - I hope you are utilizing your trauma counselors... hang in there. I was in charge of the creation of a "Bank Robbery" training video production... let me know if you ever want to see it. (I'm one of the stars lol!)

tsduff said...

PS: I never knew what a "growler" was until much later on in my life - after I met you :)

actonbell said...

Terry, I'd love to see that!