Saturday, November 16, 2013

It's the little stuff

IF this is November, THEN we are raking like fools. We have one maple tree out front (which spawned the big yellow leaf on the left), and two in the back. The tiny leaf in the middle fell off the oldest tree in the way way back of the yard, while the fresh green one is closer to the house. I believe that the tiny leaved, old tree is a sugar maple and the other two are Norwegian maples, but that is a guess by botanically challenged me.

In my (more or less) ongoing quest to rid the house of unwanted stuff and become a little bit more organized, I finally gathered a bag of said stuff  to donate to the big thrift shop down the pike, and....while I was there, I had a look around. Can't help it. The good news: I came away with just one item, and here it is:


It's a wooden tea box, with a rooster painted on the top, made by Bentley's Finest Teas, and it's very special, because it does this--

  

It's organizes stuff! And hey, it was only ninety-nine cents. What, what, what what?

One tiny step to--I don't know what. Perhaps I'll be able to find all my cheese, someday.  (I know where I keep the tea. )

And I recently finished Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch, and it is a masterpiece. If Donna Tartt does not win the Pulitzer for this, then--it will have been an awesome year for novels. It's a good thing that I didn't read the reviews beforehand, because there are too many spoilers in them, and unexpected things do keep happening in this novel.

The novel made me curious about a whole lot of things, such as the term trompe-l'oeil, which means  ‘deception of the eye’. And yes, Carel Fabritius really did paint a work called The Goldfinch. But not to worry, it was not stolen.


Evidently, it was intended to be displayed in a high spot, in such a way that the viewer might be deceived into thinking that there really was a bird perched up there. Carel Fabritius was a pupil of Rembrandt's.

Christmas in Amsterdam suddenly sounds like a fantastic idea.



6 comments:

TLP said...

The box is a real find! I love it.

You two need a leaf blower. Not that I could use one correctly. I'd have leaves everywhere except in a pile.

actonbell said...

I've thought that too, about a leaf blower, but watching the neighbors use them, it seems that they spend at least as long as we do at the leaf chore. We have more leaves than anyone else around here, yet we get it done just as fast :)

and I need the exercise.

beach lad said...

i smile to myself when the wife says she's having a clean out and taking stuff to the op shop (we call a thrift shop an opportunity shop - shortened to op shop).

inevitably equilibrium is achieved - what is donated is matched by what is purchased.

(i'd never say anything of course)

Jocelyn said...

I want that box!!!

I've heard from other sources, too, that GOLDFINCH is amazing...and I'm only #19 on the waiting list for it at the library.

Vanessa V Kilmer said...

I love that tea box! And I'm going to read that book.

actonbell said...

Beach lad, you're right about the equilibrium thing, but this time, I did come back lighter, honest!

Jocelyn, you'll love the book, just don't let anyone spoil the plot for you.

Vanessa, I imagine you MAKING something even better...and happy reading.