Sunday, October 27, 2013

Flyin' stick

Have I really abandoned this place for almost a month? Gracious, me. Bone, in answer to your question, my Scrabble day book is a 4 x 6 journal-type book where I keep various word lists, starting with two-letter words, continuing with unfamiliar three-letter words, then random other stuff. It's gone ignored this month, too. It may be hard to imagine how I could put down such a fascinating hobby.

Ah, Halloween is supposed to be so much fun, and at work, we've picked an Alice in Wonderland theme (a seriously guarded secret). And I can hardly wait 'til it's over. We have a staff meeting the previous evening, then I must get together what I'm taking to work for the Halloween potluck-luncheon. Why can't I enjoy this, why do I view it as a chore? Because I'm not talented, that's why. And I make everything harder than it needs to be.

In fact, my quest to make things more complicated than they are explains, in a way, a recent mistake I made at work. An incredibly stupid move for which I will be written up. I can hardly wait 'til that's over, too. And right now, I'll take a moment to be thankful for the fact that I do not work in an ER. I may feel a bit sick and very embarrassed, but--no one died. And I will keep my head up and move on.

On a more cheery note, it's been a beautiful weekend, and Mom and I walked the three miles around the lake at Wildwood Park. It's always a delight to take a pretty walk on a crisp autumn day, and it felt like a nice escape. And then I got to visit a bit with my local sister, who is working on a very elaborate Halloween project for work, and Mom is helping her with it. Thank goodness for Mom!

And speaking of escapes, I've just started Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt, and she already has me reeled in. I must not let this day evaporate before I get a good reading session in.

Hmm, let's get more creative...
 
 


So--what's the good news?









4 comments:

beach lad said...

this is really scary, but i'm sitting here thinking your 'scrabble day book' sounds interesting!!!

Jocelyn said...

I'm glad to know your reaction to GOLDFINCH; I've been on the fence about even trying it, but now you've opened up my mind!

Don't fret about the mistake at work. Yes, that stuff is embarrassing, for sure, but we can't help but be human. We just can't. I make mistakes all the time, and it makes me sick because I know I'm trying to do my best. Yet, well, still: we're human.

actonbell said...

Beach lad, perhaps there is a book in me... ;)

Thank you, Jocelyn, very much.

TLP said...

There is definitely a book in you, trying to escape. Someday.