Monday, July 01, 2013

The End of an Era

For at least fifteen (15) years, on and off, I've been involved in a volunteer operation that none of talk about. It's involved getting up hideously early on Saturdays and keeping an eye on certain kinds of zealous religious sorts who come out to protest something that is none of their bee's wax, surfin' the fine line between free speech and harassment.

Alas, but no more. I don't know why, but these protesters have aged, gotten tired, decided to protest at a different time or location, or whatever, but they are gone. We the volunteers always said, groggily, that if they'd just stay home, we wouldn't have to get up and do this.

 And now, it's finally happened. And it's weird. I'm relieved, but I will also miss people. We had some good conversations and shared the experience of receiving verbal personal attacks from total strangers. We are the united moral reprobates. There is surely a Far Side cartoon for us.





So, this is The End. And, by the way, rabbit, rabbit!! Good luck in July, everyone, anyone who happens to happen upon this blog...

6 comments:

beach lad said...

how intriging...i feel i have to know more about this covert activity???

tsduff said...

Rabbit Rabbit - and wow, you have a great picture and I love it! I feel lost with the old blog world because I so loved it when I was blogging. I need to chuck Facebook and get back to writing about stuff I love. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

Logophile said...


It is nice that there isn't an urgent need for your group's services but it seems like you should find an excuse to get the gang together, a BBQ, or something?

Love the lounging rabbit for July.

actonbell said...

Beach Lad, we were keeping an eye on a certain women's clinic.

Terry, I've thought about chucking FB, but--I'd miss too much.

Logo, some of these people I will, indeed, run into from time to time, but that's a good idea, we should have a reunion, once in awhile.

TLP said...

Yes, you should keep up with those people. They're good folks.

When I stopped doing this cause, I didn't miss it. I hated losing the Saturday morning. I'm so happy that the kooks have stopped their madness. You have my admiration for staying the course right to the end.

Jocelyn said...

I'm incredibly glad the protesters have faded away. I'm even more glad there are people like you in the world.