Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Stuff and Time

Some stranger called this past Saturday, mentioning something about driving through neighborhoods, picking up donations for a thrift shop (what, what, what, what?), but I had to declare that we had nothing to declare. Sure, we have JUNK. Lots of years of junk that maybe I'll start looking through, such as all the tapes I used to play in mine and Ekim's cars, back when we had tape decks in our cars. I'd taped all my favorite CDs. If I get rid of all those tapes, what am I gonna do with this very nice tape deck we have? My records were history years ago, apart from a couple souvenirs, so we never use that turntable we still have. Well, the stylus is finished, anyway. It's an ex-stylus, expired, gone to meet its maker. It's passed on, and the thought of asking some teenaged clerk for a stylus! (I was going to finish that sentence, but) The record player and the tape deck are living in space that could be used for something else, and I will probably get motivated to remove them when I have a clue about what that something else should be.

Contemplating pronouncing the word "stylus" in front of kids reminds me of a rather funny story one of my coworkers told me about her son. Her son and his friends were choosing theme songs for each other, and Coworker thought that a particular young man should choose the song "Flirting with Disaster" by Molly Hatchet. Her son replied, "Uh, I don't think he'd pick a song that's sung by a girl."
It's strange that I got that right away, even though I've never heard a woman's name in that name before.

Anyway~

The space that's being occupied by the dinosaurs could be used to shelve more books, since I seem to keep buying used paperbacks. I do have a Nook, and yet...when Better World Books shots people emails about how they are gilding their lily for a few hours, it's hard to resist. I just increased my Joyce Carol Oates collection by three books for only $8.60. Those folks are such enablers; it would take me the rest of my life to read every book in this house (Ekim collects lots of authors), and then there are all those titles on my Nook. Blush.

And since the mention of a thrift shop gave me an ear worm, here is my token picture:

Source: i.imgur.com via sharyl on Pinterest


I do buy used clothing, I love getting things for 99c, and I figure it helps to keep the world's stuff under control. Snape doesn't look very happy in that cat, though.

Instead of popin' tags tonight, I need to settle down and read. Only 4126 to go...

5 comments:

TLP said...

You and I are going to have to go to that "new" consignment shop Leah and I found in E-town. They have wonderful stuff (for more than 99 cents. still.)

I love that song.

beach lad said...

what does one do with old cassettes?? would a thrift shop even want them?

Jocelyn said...

Turntables and vinyl are kind of The Rage, you know, so you actually could go into a hipster place and ask for a stylus without getting the world's blankest stare in return. Look at you with your record player: uber hip!

The Molly Hatchet thing? I'm with you: it never struck me as a girl's name before!

Bone said...

I had to google "Stylus." I think we just called it the needle.

I miss cassettes. Especially mix tapes. Except when the tape would twist or unravel. And the two cars I had which didn't have rewind on the cassette deck, so if you wanted to rewind, you had to flip the tape over and fast forward it. But for how long? Well that was just a stab in the dark. Trial and error. I imagine this will be one of those "When I was a kid..." stories I tell my children someday.

actonbell said...

Mom, that will be fun!

Beach lad, I don't think anyone would want old cassette tapes. They will wind up in a landfill, unfortunately.

Jocelyn, that may be true, but...I can't go back, I won't go back, I ain't got time for that. Perhaps I should take the turntable to a consignment shop...

Bone, yeah, I think it was a needle for me until I went to college and heard differently. And I've had plenty cassette tape disasters, too. I really don't miss them--well, they're not gone yet, but you know what I mean.