Sunday, March 24, 2013

Exhaling

My father passed away two weeks ago, and yesterday was his memorial service. He'd been so sick for so long that his death was not a shock, but the many remembrances of his life before did come as a precious surprise. My younger sister took the podium and spoke for the immediate family, remembering Dad in years past, when he was a great sport for fun, had some amusing habits, and instilled in all of us a love for reading. Most important of all, though, was his enduring spirit of fairness and kindness towards others. No one was smarter or more educated than Dad, but he was never intimidating to talk to. His feet were firmly planted alongside ours.

As my older sister says, before there was Google, there was Dad.

When Dad wasn't available, we had to look stuff up. There were no cell phones when we were youngsters, so.

After the service, the family invaded Mom's place and we got to talk to members of the clan we hadn't seen in decades. It was another one of those times to be cherished. I'm thankful for the lovely service and for everyone's memories. I needed them more than I knew.


Mom, I hope you are totally relaxing today! You are amazing.





5 comments:

Cie Cheesemeister said...

That's how it was with my father. He had a hemorrhagic stroke. Six years of decline were to follow. The last two years of his life were particularly miserable. None of us were surprised when his time came, yet there was a period of walking around in a daze.
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

Karen said...

Sharyl, I'm glad the service was another one of those times to be cherished. The best to you and your family.

actonbell said...

Cie, thank you--and peace be with you, as well.

Thank you, Karen.

TLP said...

It was a lovely service. Thank you for being a wonderful daughter to your father and to me.

tsduff said...

Sharyl - I always get you pez's mixed up - thought you were the youngest. Anyway, I was awfully sorry to hear about your loss. xo