Thursday, January 17, 2013

The DEAD of Winter

Today, for the second time this young year, I had my picture taken by someone I don't really know. First, it was the drunk guy on New Year's Eve, who took our foursome's picture just because we were so well dressed, and then some lady came through the drive-thru at work and snapped by picture. She said it was for her grandson's photography project. Hmmm

Oh, and a coworker insisted that I participate in sending another (absent) coworker one of those timed photos--it's some kind of new phone app I don't understand because I don't have a cell phone and can't keep up with popular culture.

No cell phone? Yeah, well, reading blogs and facebook posts, looking at Pinterest and cat pictures--it's already time consuming. It's cutting into my reading time--by which I mean book reading time. If I had a phone, at least one person in my life would be bombing me all day with stuff that I would feel obliged to acknowledge, plus I work with some young cut-ups, and there's no telling what my life would be like. And I must admit to a fear of possible addiction. It's not pretty, and evidently, it's catching.

The last time Ekim and I sat at a bar, all the single guys were staring at their phones, which made me strain my memory:  what did single guys do at bars before cell phones? Watch whatever game was on? Talk to the bartender?  At work, the majority of people who come through our drive-thru are either on the phone, smoking, or both. (Actually, this sometimes happens in the lobby, too. I'd be embarrassed about having a conversation everyone could hear, but that's just me.)  No one just sits and listens to the radio anymore. We have customers who don't even look at us, let alone take our pictures--I bet this is a once in a lifetime event! Good thing I recorded it.

I wonder what it looks like?
Now, this would be an intriguing photo project: make the paparazzi at least as cute and captivating as the subjects. Perhaps they could even take turns with the camera. If one of them figures out how to set the timer, the possibilities will be endless

Okay, okay, I've got the DEAD of winter doldrums. I really should turn the PC off, but--but--it's so hard to give up---
 


10 comments:

TLP said...

You know I love your work posts.

Oh yeah. Someone we both know would bomb your phone. She doesn't on my phone because I don't keep it turned on. I use it when I need to/want to.

But you can have a smart phone and just use it for smart things.

I'd be very annoyed if a customer took my picture (when I worked). That's wrong.

actonbell said...

Eh, about the picture taking: she's always nice, so. And yeah, someday, I'll get a phone....

beach lad said...

it certainly seems as though smart phones have DIVIDED peoples attention - ie, using the phone seems to have intruded into other parts of life - people still talk to the bartender or listen to the radio, but they often are mucking around on the phone at the same time nowdays - as a personal thing, nothing peeves me off more than not having someone's undivided attention - (not sure if this is just me being precious though)

and i can't comment about facebook as i've never looked at, and never have any intention of doing so.

Jocelyn said...

You could have a cell phone without it being a smart phone. That means you have the advantage of mobility, but you don't have any of the distractions. I have a Trac Phone, and I use it sheerly for phone calls to my husband and occasional texts to my daughter. It keeps me offline!

floating said...

beachlad, you're right about the divided attention world, and good for you for not getting lured into fb!

Jocelyn, I really should do that--Ekim and I have one between us, which we only use when we're out of town, since there are no longer any pay phones. However, there are times when I could really use one, too.

Oh, and now I've messed up my acct...

actonbell said...

floating? huh

Maria said...

I detested cell phones. Considered them a necessary evil. Like...in case I got stranded on a highway or something. But, then...my partner upgraded all of us to smart phones and I am almost in love with the thing. I am especially fond of Siri, the person who voice responds to you. I ask Siri daily if she thinks I look okay, she is always complimentary. ("Maria, you are beautiful on the inside and the outside as well!") This is getting ridiculous. I once asked Siri what the definition of love was. Her answer: chocolate.

actonbell said...

Ha! Maria, Siri sounds delightful:)
Chocolate is an intriguing answer.

Bone said...

Yes, I think people used to talk to other people. I mean, I can't recall it myself, but I've heard about it from the older folks in town. Seems pretty weird to me :)

I was just in a conversation yesterday about trying to figure out who sang a certain song and how now you just google it and it comes right up. But before the internets, where did people find such information?

actonbell said...

Bone, I guess we just--kept wondering. Or arguing about it. Ekim and I actually have large books listing Billboard Hits. I don't remember why we have such reference books, but they are sort of interesting. Large, though.