Sunday, January 27, 2013

Still winter...

I've become accustomed to its hum, the way it comes on loudly and continues to purr, but in a couple weeks, it will probably be gone, a memory, and silence will reign for the balance of winter.

We're retiring the furnace that has been in this house since it was built in the mid-1960's. It's old. The guy who came by this weekend to take measurements and give us estimates was really tickled. He'd never ever seen an old Chrysler furnace before, and he's been in this line of work for many years. He thinks maybe it belongs in The Smithsonian. Ha ha.





And this is a totally random picture that reminds me that I haven't been to the movies in a long time. I haven't seen Life of Pi, and I'm very curious about how they pulled it off, and I haven't seen Lincoln, which probably isn't any better on the big screen that DVD, and I haven't seen Les Miserables, and I'm not sure I'm ever in the mood for something so sad, anyway.

And tomorrow is another Monday and the end of another weekend, but I actually ran outside today for the first time in quite awhile, and discovered that I've gotten a bit out of hill-running shape, since I never use that incline thingie on the treadmill. Heck, to be honest, I haven't been putting in many miles at all lately, especially on Sundays. So, today was an accomplishment, even if I felt slow and out of it. Oh, and I finally finished a long novel and will read something lighter next...

And tomorrow is the last Monday of January. So. Any thoughts?


14 comments:

TLP said...

I'm happy to see the last anything of January.

February has a few fun things, like Groundhog Day, and Valentine's Day, and Fasnacht Day.

Wish I could make myself exercise. I'm hopeless.

TLP said...

I didn't like the book Life of Pi. I know how Lincoln ends. Spoiler alert: He dies. And Les Miserables has to be sad, long, and dark. I miss going to the movies, but there's nothing on now that I want to see.

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

I like Pi's life. Well, except for the boat part. I get violently seasick. But I would like to find a place that doesn't rock back and forth where I could sit around with a cat and eat pie all day.

beach lad said...

i for one am extremely disappointed with the passing of january as it means our summer is now 2/3rd's gone.

Bone said...

January: fastest month of my life. Surpassing the previous fastest of this past December. And soon itself to be surpassed by February, I am sure. (This is probably my wittiest comment ever, no?)

Physical activity... hmm, that's something I should probably ponder.

actonbell said...

Mom, the second part of the novel was a tad slow in parts, but I do want to see the movie.

LeTrope, I do miss having a cat--sometimes. Never met one that wanted to rock back and forth in a chair or in boat, or do more than sit on me and whine for whatever I'm eating, but--

beach lad, you do bring with you another perspective. Ah, for eternal summer!

Bone, I agree that the world is turning too quickly. We really should protest this.

Karen said...

Yay ... !

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. (AP) — An end to winter's bitter cold will come soon, according to Pennsylvania's famous groundhog.

TLP said...

As of today, February 4th, there are 43 days, 5 hours remaining till Spring. I'm ready.

Did your Super Bowl party go well?

actonbell said...

Karen, Phil does add some entertainment to this dead winter time, but still, we long for spring.

Mom, yes, it did. *yawn* still tired, though.

Logophile said...

I didn't love the book Life of Pi and I am certainly willing to wait to see it. Les Miserables seems a little dark for me and what with it being February... it's dark enough around here!
A Chrysler furnace, hm? sounds venerable. I love the spring countdown over there >>

actonbell said...

Logo, February is already beastly here, too. I can wait 'til spring to see Les Miserable, definitely. And yes, I'm counting down :)

Jocelyn said...

Well, I love LIFE OF PI, the book, and that's why I won't see the movie. Just can't.

LINCOLN was pretty stunning on the big screen, but then again, I tend to like all movies better as they were meant to be seen. Hee.

Hang in there with the running of them hills. It's still in you!

actonbell said...

Thank you, Jocelyn, and I'm looking forward to the warmer weather for inspiration.

tsduff said...

I really enjoyed the book of Life of Pi... will hope the movie is as interesting. Must wait for now though, as it has already come and gone from our theaters :(