Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday Shrew

This is a shrew. A Northern Tree Shew, to be exact. Isn't it cute? I like the way it has its tail curled around its body, just the way cats do.

I wonder how the word shrew came to refer to a belligerent woman. Another term I've come across recently is termagant, but that word is downright obscure.

What caused me to ponder this? Work, of course. We hit rock bottom today. My supervisor, who really is very nice, did apologize and thank us. That does go a long way; it's important to acknowledge when one's staff has had a ridiculous time of it. 

One thing that keeps me from becoming a total shrew is the nightly enjoyment I get out of reading, and I'm reading something very engaging right now, called The Shadow of the Night, by Deborah Harkness. It's the sequel to A Discovery of Witches, a real page-turner. I'm liking this second book better than the first, and will be waiting impatiently 'til the end of this trilogy is out. Ekim put me on to this, by the way.

So, work was a termagant today, but then I get to read about witches, daemons, and vampires. It's all good.

Oh, and there's that debate tonight. Maybe.

Whatchaupto?

7 comments:

beach lad said...

is it a shrew or shew???

it's amazing the hype that surrounds the politcal leadership debate/s over there. it has even been a leading news story over here for many weeks too - in fact it has had more publicity than when our own leaders have done it.

i would say the wider public is indifferent (apathetic?) to politics over here - we don't seem to get anywhere near as involved in it as the good folk of the US, however, the ironic thing is that voting is compulsory here!

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

So cute! I don't know how "shrew" came to refer to a shrill type of woman. I don't know that shrews (the animal) behave in a particularly shrewish manner. :-)

actonbell said...

Compulsory? I didn't know that. There-s really quite a bit of apathy here, too, demonstrated by how few people actually choose to vote.

actonbell said...

This one looks friendly:-)

TLP said...

Cute little beast. They aren't rodents.

I don't miss working. AT. ALL.

Bone said...

We had a chipmunk in the building at work recently. Actually, it may still be in the building.

That's all I have for "small creature conversation."

actonbell said...

Mom, I don't plan on missing it, either.

Bone, chipmunks are the most popular rodents, I think.