Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Random Update

Oh, I'll be talking about books shortly--I've just finished a LibraryThing freebie, and I'm also making my way through a Richard Russo book I've neglected too long, but--I'm not ready for that yet...

And this year, there was no Pulitzer Prize awarded in the fiction category, the first time this has happened since 1977. I was not even aware of which books were getting all the buzz, and was astonished to see that The Pale King, by the late David Foster Wallace, was one of the three. I will keep all three titles on my radar, of course. The other two are Train Dreams, by Denis Johnson, and Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. If Pale King had taken the prize, it would not have been the first time a Pulitzer Prize for fiction was awarded posthumously to an author whose life was ended by suicide; A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole, won the coveted prize in 1981, an honor Toole was not around to experience.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homer is so literal. He's sitting next to me, in the drive-thru, munching, gnawing, chewing on his fingernails. It makes quite a racket, actually. I look over and give him my dry look, and I say, geez, you're quite the busy beaver over there. Homer replies, yeah, man, but at least it's not wood. I'd hate that job, of wood chewing. It takes a couple beats, but I can't help it--I'm laughing, and he's appalled, but--he said it. And he knows why I'm laughing. And this is the guy who posts a different lady's picture on the inside of his drawer every month, then demands that we all say good morning to her image every day. So. Who should his image be for May? It's already been Adele and Rosie O'Donnell. I'll think about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of our full-time tellers, Attitude, is being transferred to another branch. Darn, she was just getting happier and friendlier, then they have to go and piss her off again. Management is saying that we are over-staffed! I think we're being punished for being LAST in all the money-making things, such as procuring new loans and credit card holders. There are whispered rumors of our branch's demise; if we're slow and not profitable, we are close enough to other branches to simply be divided up, permanently. I doubt this will happen, but--we'll see.

Ah, and we had a bit of drama the other day, what with employees of two different armored car companies having a loud row in our parking lot, and one of the guys screaming at our assistant head teller in the vault. Heavens, we don't want armed men fighting in the parking lot! One guy was sacked after Head Teller reported the incident. I predict things will be calmer tomorrow, when they might have to share the parking lot again. What a bunch of hotheads.

It's not nice to scare the customers like that. We have enough problems already.

Ekim and I watched The Tree of Life, and I have no idea what it was about, but most of it was enjoyable. It struck me as having an existential message, since it seemed to be about living in one's own reality and coping with one's own conclusions regarding--what it's all about. All the cosmos scenes seemed there to remind us how insignificant we are. The parents in this film had dueling philosophies, with vast middle ground between them. It was interesting.

And I think Homer should pick Betty White for his next lid adornment.

3 comments:

Doug said...

Did the Three Stooges never once think of a two quarelling armored car crews caper? That was a missed shot.

actonbell said...

Doug, you are so right. And all that rolled coin, too--they could have made such a fantastic mess!

TLP said...

Oh, good idea for a Stooges movie! It should have happened.

I love your work stories. I think Homer's new gal-pix should be Hillary Clinton sending a text.

The Tree of Life was sort of self-indulgent to me. Too much overblown symbolism for my taste. But the "story" itself held my interest, surprisingly, and the boy in the main part was wonderful. Very good actor.