Sunday, March 06, 2011

Weekend Update

Aren't this nifty galoshes? Wouldn't you just wish for rain if you only had them? Hey. It's the little things. All this rain gives me a sleepy headache, but it's been a nice, relaxing two days, anyway. We watched the documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop last night and both really liked it, so--put that on your Netflix cue!


I also managed to finish another book, and my review follows.





Oh, and Ekim and I also scored a lunch with Mom and Dad at a nearby Thai restaurant. Eating: another great indoor activity.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



This really is the first time I've picked up the original Frankenstein, and it was not at all what I'd expected, not one bit. Years ago, I'd seen a couple movies based on this classic, but neither version had much resemblance to Mary Shelley's original story. One of the most vivid scenes I can remember seeing in the movies was of Frankenstein's monster being chased by a band of villagers with torches, out to destroy this deformed creature, but nothing of the sort ever happens in the book.

Mary Shelley's story is the tragedy of a life brought into existence without any regard for that life; Frankenstein's monster does not even possess a name, much less the compassion of any other being on earth.

This novel actually begins aboard a ship, with the lonely Captain Walton writing letters to his sister, lamenting his extreme lonliness and lack of friends aboard his vessel, when suddenly, he and his crew spy a stranded man adrift on an ice floe. After rescuing this man, Walton becomes enraptured with his tale. Walton's new companion is none other than Victor Frankenstein, and his tale of woe is told in flashback.

Frankenstein's dissertation is full of remorse and uncertainty. His creation has already caused pain and despair to his loved ones, and now the lonely, angry being is demanding a mate, and Frankenstein vacillates on the morality of such an action.

The plot is still a meaningful one, though the style of Shelley's prose can get tedious and at times seems overly verbose--But then, it was written in 1818.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


As usual, the weekend has flown by too quickly, but I have hopes that this coming week will be a pleasant one--here's hoping that you're all marching through March's weather with a smile in your heart!


Heh.

11 comments:

Doug said...

Right! I remember having the same reaction when I picked that up. Except the Bible, I'm not sure any book has been as thoroughly and consistently misrepresented in popular culture.

It's almost a pre-Spockian book about the importance of nurturing.

actonbell said...

I read this on my nook, and during those first few pages, it occurred to me that I might have downloaded the wrong book! Misrepresented is right.

And I can see why some consider it the earliest form of science fiction.

Doug said...

Definitely groundbreaking. Another thing that struck was how familiar the voice was. It must have been very influential. Now discuss- M. Shelley's Frankenstein and P.B. Shelley's Ozymandias. Who do you think the arrogant bastard was who made them them both so sensitive to hubris?

actonbell said...

Hmm, interesting question. And, of course I had to look up that poem. I should definitely read more poetry.
(My knee-jerk reaction to your question was Lord Byron, I'm not sure why.)

Ariel the Thief said...

Actonbell, I have no idea but I totally agree we should blame Byron. Typically the guy tried to turn life into paper instead of the other way.

Ariel the Thief said...

Ok, I know I am very prejudiced. And in the end it is not his fault that he had such a big effect on our world. There's worse. :)

actonbell said...

:) He was--complicated.

Ice said...

Yeah, a forever teenager. :)

Ice said...

Acton, that's me controlled by Mozilla! (Ariel the Thief)

actonbell said...

Ice, ice baby:)

Cade said...

Hey Actonbell! Great to see you're still blogging. n__n (Not too sure you remember me).

I agree, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is a lot better than the flat-top, olive green alternative. ;DD

Happy 2011!