Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Soon. Very Soon.

It's a good thing I'm getting a vacation soon. My attitude needs that annual adjustment. Oh, boy, here comes Santa Claus. No, really, he's out there on a Fire Engine, but it's too cold to go out. Not that I would, anyway. Tricks are for kids.

Anyway, when I'm at work, being alternately bored and annoyed, I need to think about the wonderfully sweet couple George and Mary I ran into shopping this weekend. They worked at the same Asylum Warehouse I did, just in a different part. Anyway, they are working at Amazon now, another warehouse job that is a longer drive to work than I'd like, and they are working long hours. Both seem really happy, but tired. Mary has a beautiful attitude for someone with so many health problems. She worked at The Asylum for 30 years, standing up all day on concrete, and she's got some real joint pain. However, her dangerous problem is the bloodclot in her leg. And she just had a gallstone operation. But she's so happy. Partly, it's George; she met him at The Asylum and it's hard not to smile around George.

And I've been annoyed at my decidely cushier job. Oh, it doesn't pay as well, but Ekim and I agree that I'm not driving that far and working that many hours. Yuk. It may be annoying to work with less mature people, and sometimes it's a little lonely. I feel like The Other One, sometimes. And it took me a long time to get trained to do some things, since They do like to work with and help Their friends. That's natural. Happens everywhere. If that's all I have to complain about, that's not much.

That's what vacation is good for: those petty little stupid itchy nagging annoyances. There's always at least one person at work who whinges and drags his feet. We have two: someone who can whinge until I think, alright, I'll do it...and then there's always a certain young man who just drags his feet until I get frustrated and do darned chore myself. See, this is my fault. But now, it's vacation time! I have days and days to get over this and return with a sunny attitude, because it's really not important.

Speaking of sunny, we are not going to have optimal weather again this year. It's colder than usual all up and down the coast, and we're really not going that far south. I keep thinking of this as a Caribbean cruise, but we'll actually be in the Bahamas, still in the Atlantic Ocean. Anyway, we'll have a relaxing time.


Heh. While I'm gone, I'll be getting out of one of our infamous store tours. That's when back office bigwigs come and tour the branches, when all our lollipops, dog treats, and pens must be facing Mecca and no clutter shall be on the spotless counters (clutter includes staplers, tape dispensers, and teller stamps. They are clutter). I was surprised to see (silly me) that the requirements for our tiny kitchen/break area include the mandate that the coffee pot must match the refrigerator. Whew, both of ours are white. Nothing else may be on the counter except for soap and hand sanitizer.

As I say....it's nice to get away.








10 comments:

Doug said...

I wonder if it would help if you gave funny names to people on the cruise.

actonbell said...

Oh, I often do. People you don't know are funny.

Doug said...

I think so too. Enjoy your cruise.

JAllgood said...

Have a Wonderful vacation! I'm jealous. I need to try a cruise some day. Have fun!

actonbell said...

Thank you, Doug and Jallgood!

Ariel the Thief said...

Maybe Hemingway would have been a happier person if he'd had the ability to give funny name to people? Good vacation!

Ariel the Thief said...

*names

Bone said...

Enjoy your cruise. I was gonna tell you a reindeer joke but then I saw my word verification and got side-tracked.

It's feral.

Quack Birder said...

'tis the season to be cranky. Have a great trip!

TLP said...

You're halfway through your cruise now. I hope you are having wonderful fun. Actually, now that I've been on a cruise myself, I know you're having wonderful fun!

I always love your work posts. And way back, when you worked at the Army Depot, before blogs and such, you told the best stories ever. 'memba Preston? 'course you do!