Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Day Before the Plunge



Banker's hours? That's a quaint concept, from when bank tellers were men, and a multitude of people lived their whole lives without knowing much about bank accounts. And bank robbers were desperate men on the run after the Civil War. We live on another planet now. Bank robbers now are usually quiet note-passers, but a bank very close to the one where I work actually had an armed man jump the teller line today. So begins this holiday season, on our present day planet, with its own desperate people.


Ah, yes, Thanksgiving Eve is upon us. It's not a school night. Most of us can stay up late, as long as we're not traveling any great distance to meet our families and eat all that food. It's the most popular night of the year to go out.


Those of us who meet the public are bracing ourselves. Where I am, we are starting the holiday season short-staffed. I'm not expecting tomorrow to be easy. However, I am expecting the day to end at the usual time. The lobby doors will be locked at 6:10pm, those of us not working the drive-thru will count our beans, put away our toys, and go home. Yay.


Thanksgiving is one of the four--yes, only four--days a year all the bank tellers at MyBank get to stay home, with pay, without using PTO. So, it's sort of sacred. We'll have a blessed day, then return to work on Black Friday.


Let the fun begin.


Eleven more work days until I'm on vacation. Then, I'll be back for Christmas Eve, but I won't borrow a rude awakening, just yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Have a great weekend, everyone! May it be safe, relaxing, and joyous.


3 comments:

TLP said...

Ah, yes. Bank robbers and pumpkin pie. Go together like a horse and carriage.

Faycin A Croud said...

Bankers' hours are an antiquated concept. I've never quite understood them since the majority of people apparently work the same hours as the bank, which makes it a bit difficult to do one's banking if one is an office worker! I've always worked odd hours so it hasn't been as much of a problem for me.

Jocelyn said...

Whenever I read your posts about work, I realize how little I know or have thought about the detaıls of working ın a bank. Thanks for taking us inside that experience.