Monday, September 27, 2010

National Bookfest in D. C.




How did I not know about this far, far in advance? Well, I got to experience some of it, anyway. On Saturday the 25th, sister 3D and I made out way to the mall to celebrate books and authors with a whole bunch of other people. It was really hot, but people didn't seem to mind so much. We ought to be used to it by now.


Speaking of authors, we got to listen to Jonathan Safran Foer talk about his most recent book, Eating Animals, right after we'd eaten a quick meal at McDonald's. Please don't tell him, I'd be mortified. And no, his position is not that there's anything wrong with eating animals, but that there is something wrong with how these animals are treated, something unhealthy for us about how this meat is produced, and also something harmful about what these meat factories do to the environment. Foer tells stories about his family along the way, too. He's a very charming guy who is strangely wise for his years. In fact, he reminds me of a certain fictional character named Homer Wells, from John Irving's book The Cider House Rules. He's an old soul.
Then, we got to listen to Jane Smiley, the talented soul behind the Pulitzer Prize winning A Thousand Acres. I also loved Horse Heaven, The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton, and enjoyed Moo, and look forward to reading more of her novels. Smiley strikes me as a very interesting character and shone in her spontaneous reactions and conversations with her audience.
I, or we, shall make it a point to mark the calendar next year! It will be exciting to see who comes...

7 comments:

Doug said...

That looks like Actonbell heaven if you throw in a beer tent, a scrabble board and a snoring cat. Maybe a coati wearing a monocle and top hat.

actonbell said...

Beer would have been most welcome!

Nessa said...

I wanted to go when you mentioned it but I didn't know about it before I had already made plans. I am putting it on my calendar for next year. I'll meet you there.

TLP said...

I want to go along next time!

actonbell said...

Mom and Nessa, we must make this a date!

Nessa said...

You got it. I have several reminders set up in my google calendar.

dahoov2 said...

I missed this event. Found your posts by looking for a poster. I've been going every year since the second year it began, and I collect the posters.... I like to get them signed but I am super disappointed I did not get the poster this year. ;(

The year before I got Dionne Warwick and Salmon Rushdie and John Grisham. I love this event and I think one of my favorites was meeting David McCullough. It's a great event.

I will NOT miss it this year!