Sunday, July 04, 2010

lovely, and half the year's gone



I trust that everyone's having a weekend that's at least tolerable. And perhaps a longer than usual weekend as well. I am not having a long weekend, but I have had a very nice one, I must say. On Saturday morning, I did my volunteer gig with people I enjoy, and it passed very quickly--literally. Then, I went for a very nice run along the riverfront, which I'm really thankful for. It's what I call a treat-run. I spent the rest of the day lounging around and reading. We spent the evening watching our latest Netfix pick, which was Avatar. The graphics are really cool, but the storyline isn't original or anything, and when I saw Sigourney Weaver, I had to laugh. That made it feel like a parody. I really liked the message, though, so it saddened me that the dialogue was so bad. I hate bad dialogue.

So. It's really hot again, after being so lovely. And there are dandelion seeds everywhere. They're blowing in the wind, alighting on the grass, stuck to our windshields. It's almost scary; they'll take over tomorrow, like triffids. We'll all stay up tonight, watching fireworks, only to wake up tomorrow, permanently blind. Everything will shut down, no one will be able to get to work---

Oh, wait, they won't take over until next year. *whew* Good to know. So, on the way home from Ekim's parents (where we had a fabulous picnic), I rock out to Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it....and hoot, "Journey while the Jammer's away!!...................." (local reference, circa 1990. RIP Jammer, peace be with you, may you not be listening to Journey if you don't wanna). We'd been drinking Negro Modela. A few of'em, twas a sultry day....

I keep thinking that I'd like to learn to make soup. I love me some good soup, and it seems it might be a good time to learn the art of dandelion soup. If it weren't for clover and weeds, we'd have no yard at all! When I was a kid, our across-the-street neighbor grew dandelions in a box. Perhaps TLP remembers that:) Perhaps some fireflies for added protein. Kidding! They probably taste awful. And wouldn't freeze well, either.



I think we'll have plenty of weeds to share. Our rabbit companions prefer the clover, and our groundhog eats--a bit of everything. Fat little bugger.

If you watch fireworks tonight, I hope it's fabulous! We're lounging out; neither of us feels the urge to go out, but we might catch a glimpse from our back yard.

Have a sweet night!

8 comments:

Quack Birder said...

Sounds lovely! I had a good day too. Lots of gardening, and reading, and then I watched a Netflix film myself ("What Would Jesus Buy?", funny/cute documentary). I know what you mean about "Avatar". I enjoyed it anyway. Saw it in 3D.

TLP said...

Do you remember the old man who used to come around each year selling dandelion stuff? (dandelion wine and all such things. He sold jellies too.)
I think the neighbor used the dandelion leaves for salad. I've never been willing to try that, but if you pick the new young leaves it's supposed to be good.

TLP said...

Oh, I did take your dad to Harrisburg for the Jazz Fest and the fireworks. We weren't in the best spot for the fireworks, but it was as far as I could drag him.

actonbell said...

Aral, I'm kinda jealous that you saw it in 3D. That would be cool.

Mom, I meant to catch some of the jazz, but--once I was home, I was too lazy to get up again. Enertia is I.

Doug said...

Hey, my comment got et and it isn't even the All-Star break. Wish I remembered what I said. I recall it being brilliant.

[Something clever in this space]

Doug said...

Oh, I remember. I was about to correct you about the triffids thinking you meant tribbles but then I looked it up. OK, my comment was stupid and I swallowed it myself.

TLP said...

Wish I had known that you would have liked to go to the Jazz Fest! It would have been great for me to have had you along!

Together We Save said...

I have to comment on this post too... Dandelion was a favotite book of my kids growing up... Although this post was not really about that book... oh well....