Sunday, July 25, 2010

Let the Great World Spin, by Colum McCann

Finally, this afternoon, we got a good rain. It really cooled things off, enough to actually sit upstairs in front of the computer for awhile and share my latest read.







Let the Great World Spin, by Colum McCann, would be a short story collection, except that these stories become involved with each other and each have at least a temporal relationship to Philippe Petit's 1974 tightrope walk between the twin towers in New York City.

Each story is engrossing, the characters well-drawn and realistic. They are also diverse, in every way. McCann managed to convince me that the whole world could easily fit into New York City. I enjoyed it very much and admire McCann's writing style. It's easy to see why this book has gotten so much buzz--and the 2009 National Book Award.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of awards, the documentary Man on Wire won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature in 2009, and strangely, it wasn't on my radar at all. I really like documentaries, so of course this went onto the Netflix cue. Philippe Petit's extraordinary--and illegal--show occurred almost 36 years ago.

Too bad no one back then had a camcorder.

6 comments:

Doug said...

It's really too bad we can't do all of our heroics in the future when holocams will be everywhere and do all our sinning in the stone age. I'm sorry I will spend all my days before they invent a time machine.

actonbell said...

I hear you:) 15 minutes of fame for everyone! Sometimes I think all the truly juicy and interesting history has already happened, and we'll never get to see any of it.

But really: there was a police helicopter buzzing around Petit, but--no footage. They might have distracted him into falling, while they were at it, too. I want to see the doc.

TLP said...

Huh! I guess I thought that there was footage of this event! I've heard so much about it.

You read the most interesting things.

I got absolutely SOAKED today! I used the valet for my groceries, but I still had to walk/run to the car. But I was glad to see the rain anyway. (But of course this was a downpour for a while.)

actonbell said...

It was a downpour, and I was glad to see it, too.
And yes, it's surprising that there are only still photos of Petit's adventure.

Quack Birder said...

Wow, we must be related! Literally two nights ago MWWP and I watched "Man On Wire"! How funny! I had NOT seen this post! Great flick. What an odd man.

TLP said...

Oh, boy Quacker! You should check your family tree! You might be related! Who knew????