Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ides of July


Goodness gracious, another year has half flown by.
In these parts of Pennsylvania, it's sure been hot. We did finally get some rain the other day, but the grass is still looking really bad. Despite the heat, I haven't made my way to the pool yet! I must put that on my to-do list. It's obligatory, that's all there is to it. We will, in any case, be going on vacation in September, so the entire year will not go by without lazing in a pool.
San Diego--now, that's a sweet weather spot. It'll be 80 degrees there tomorrow, and that's what I call nice summer weather.
I did actually throw away some stuff last weekend. This is the time of year for yard and garage sales, but I just can't face other people's stuff. It used to be fun, but now I'm imagining doing the backward yardsale. It takes planning.
1. load stuff that you no longer want in the truck of your car, packing it in such a way that you can drop it off quickly and easily.
2. find a well-attended yardsale
3. have a pal (what a pal!) distract the owner of said yardsale while you sneak a box of your stuff into their pile
4. drive to next sale
5. repeat steps 2, 3, 4, and before you know it, your car and house will be much lighter
No one here calls yard sales 'white elephant sales,' perhaps because it would be bad for business. After all, white elephants are sacred and therefore expensive (they have to be fed and so do the guests who come to see them), so--no one particularly wants a white elephant. Though it is surprising what people do buy.
In fact, over at Ebay, there's a whole category for 'weird stuff' and some of it ain't that cheap. Fake dog poop is $16.00, including shipping. That's disgusting. For a total of $19, you can get a book about dung. It appears to be illustrated. Ew. There's also a 443 page book on the history of toothpicks.
Wow, that did it, I'm suddenly very drowsy. Good night!

5 comments:

Doug said...

Buenos noches!

Speaking of your vacation (I don't think I get one this year,) I went to the LA Zoo with my brother and his family last weekend. Everyone was way impressed that I recognized the coatis.

TLP said...

LOL. A backward yard sale! I love it.

I'm impressed about the book on toothpicks. If you get it, don't lend it to me, okay? I'm afraid I'd read it.

TLP said...

Forgot to mention that I love the Amish Airlines.

See you shortly at the movies!

tsduff said...

Ewwww. I remember fake dog dootie - I suppose the only market for it is pre-teen boys who want to plant it where mom or sister might see it. It is a bit pricey.

Funny picture!

Bone said...

I made my first trip to the pool this past weekend. And my sister had a yard sale, too!

I started out trying to make your big, bolded paragraph-beginning letters spell something. Gisiniw?