Sunday, April 04, 2010

Other developments



It appears that I've gotten a wee bit hooked on one of Lady Gaga's songs, Bad Romance. Her stuff is actually melodic and her voice sounds like it might be pretty strong. Since I'd only ever heard her voice before googling her, I was surprised to learn that she's only just turned--24. No, she doesn't have an old face (heh), but her voice sounds more seasoned than that, and she seems so worldly to be so young.
Then, it occurred to me to hop over to YouTube and watch the video. This was slightly shocking. It's very well done, I'd give it an A for being artistic, elaborate, and well choreographed, but it's also surprisingly R-rated for a music video. She makes Madonna's old videos look absolutely quaint. I'd have mixed feelings about all the kiddos watching this on MTV, but then something else occurred to me: MTV hardly plays music videos anymore, though evidently, they have aired Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and Telephone videos. There was a rumor that they'd banned the latter video, which they vehemently deny. I watched that, too, and thought it was ridiculous and ugly as well as being R-rated and way too long. What a waste of a catchy song!
Popular culture has been passing me by for years, and the only thing that bothers me about this is being left out of the music culture. I've always enjoyed popular music, but now, it seems harder and harder to get that thrill that comes with getting hooked on something new. It's as if I have this restrictive filter that I'm pouring current music through, and I can't help it. Oh, sure, I can get used to lots of stuff, even Ima Bee begins to sound normal after 1, 322 playings a day. And yet.
I can't seem to get away from the topic of aging these days, so I'll get up and out enjoy the sunny day while I can. I hope everyone's having a wonderful weekend, which is probably long one for some of you!


7 comments:

Doug said...

I kind of agree. Lady Gaga is the first young baud pop star who doesn't annoy me. I haven't heard Ima Bee, to the best of my knowledge but the lyrics looked like they go to a real bad song.

TLP said...

So, it's come to this for you. Too bad. I remember when I first realized that I had stopped hearing something, anything, on the radio top ten stations that was good.

Now I listen to the old stuff. And of course that gets...old.

Bone said...

Ugh. I was thinking yesterday I need some new music on my iPod. But what? I have no idea what's out. It doesn't have very many songs on it that aren't at least five years old.

Jocelyn said...

I like Lady Gaga's persona and desire to create of herself something interesting. In fact, I like those aspects of her even more than her music!

Lila said...

I know just what you mean. I miss knowing the current music. But I like such a tiny percentage of it!

Logophile said...

Pretty much I would rather listen to anything on this list

http://www.1077theend.com/pages/5970726.php

Nessa said...

I'm not sure I've heard lady Gaga sing. I know who she is though.