Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fatal Toy?

There was a toy being featured at The Kite Loft that was very appealing, but could prove fatal to some people, such as my sister 3D. I saw people laughing, but did not see anyone buying:




Wouldn't that be a weird way to go: death by toy. A toy that made you laugh until you choked, or hyperventilated to the point of not being able to breathe at all. A trip to the ER room that started with a toy monkey. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

I have a new toy: an iPod nano! It's making me glow, I think. Hope that's not dangerous, or anything. It's also causing me to spend all kinds of time on the computer learning how to do stuff that just doesn't come naturally to me.

Hopefully, it won't be fatal. Oh, and its accessories have already been ordered. I won't have my iPod scratched or harmed in any stupid kind of way. Tomorrow, I will finally have to go back to work, and I will be missing my new toy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following book was a freebie from LibraryThing. It's one of those books that I don't know how to write about, but--here it goes...




Jaspreet Singh's novel Chef is a moving story centered around needless fighting, suffering, and deprivation. And this is deprivation of more than comfort and food, it's the deprivation of love and open expression that comes with violent conflict, in this case, between India and Pakistan.

This is Kirpal Singh's story, which he tells us close to the end of his life, so the narrative jumps around in time, and the author does this to good effect. Kirpal, or Kip, as he is known, was General Kumar's chef, up until some fourteen years ago, and now he is returning to Kashmir after all this time to prepare a wedding banquet for the general's daughter, who he remembers comforting as a child.

Kip remembers for us not just his story, but other people's stories, those of people who were important to him. And there are mysteries in this life, questions that will forever remain unanswered.

The general's daughter has grown up to be a writer, a poet. In her, Kip sees a new hope, a way to reveal the thoughts and feelings of so many people, so many sad, scared, lonely, desperate people.

It's a beautiful book.

8 comments:

Karen said...

I wish I had that Monkey toy.

Doug said...

Yeah, if I had that monkey toy, I just bet I'd be funny. I agree that 3D should never be allowed to see one. The book sounds terrific.

TLP said...

Right. Don't give 3D anything that makes her laugh too hard. We've all seen the dangerous results.

You make the book sound wonderful.

Your new toy is wonderful.

Logophile said...

I'd much rather have something like your new toy, rather than the monkey one. Although it might be nice for Doug's nephew.

Alright, now I have another book to add to my growing mountain TBR.
Thanks for the tip!
:D

JAllgood said...

I had a friend that had a toy similar to the monkey sitting out at her studio. OMG! I JUMPED! And felt like I could have had a heart attack. After I calmed down and everyone stopped laughing at me, I managed to laugh along.

There you go again... now I've got another book to add to my read list. It sounds really good. Thanks!

TLP said...

Lovely new pix at top. Did you take that photo at OC MD?

tsduff said...

LOVE your new picture - don't miss the lifeguard tower at all!

That monkey toy just doesn't work for me. Maybe Monet would like one... (she is a big yellow lab).

actonbell said...

Thank you, Mom and Terry. Yes, I did take that unauthoized pic of someone else's dog:)

And Terry, I bet Monet would be quite intrigued.