Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Envelope Please...

I haven't gotten my grubby paws on last year's winner yet, but whatever, there must be one hundred books already in this house that are worthy of my attention but lacking it.

Digressing, already. By now, anyone who wants to know knows that Tinkers, by Paul Harding, has won the coveted Pulitzer Prize for fiction. And it's not surprising that I've never heard of it. However, one of the finalists, In Other Rooms, Other Wonders, by Daniyal Mueenuddin, is a title I have seen mentioned on one of the sites I haunt, but heck if I remember which one. The other finalist, Love in Infant Monkeys by Lydia Millet, is another title that is completely new to me. All three of these books will surely get lots of attention, as they should. I'd love to know how wide the original net was, though, because out of--oh, a hundred? really good novels, these judges narrowed their scope down to a handful and then picked ONE. Fascinating.


And every year, I almost become inspired to join the Pulitzer Project; some people, for example this young woman, have made it a point to read every Pultizer Prize winner, and I'm impressed, especially since some of the older ones don't sound all that appealing. Is it okay to substitute either a Pulitzer finalist or a National Book Award recipient in the place of--something you just don't wanna read? I suppose not; that's not being a very good keeper of lists. Seriously, though, there are quite a few people who make it a goal to read all 83 84 books. I am 23% done with this. That would be 20 books, which is correct. Thank you, Lists of Bests.





I love this! It's the Wisdom Tree, and I think it would be especially appropriate for storing Mt. TBR. But, alas, where would I put it?

3 comments:

TLP said...

Thanks for the info on the winners. I woke up this morning wondering what won the prize (thanks to your post yesterday). There was nothing on the news show that I watch about it. Instead I know who's still in the running for "Dancing with the Stars."

I love the Wisdom Tree too! Couldn't there be a place in your computer room for it?

TLP said...

The "winner" not (s).

Karen said...

I'm annoyed the Washington Post's Kathleen Parker won 2010 Pulitzer Prize for commentary.