Thursday, March 11, 2010

....

My time goes by in a dazey haze, the radio drones on somewhere, one head light, one hit wonder, I didn't realize. No matter how unbusy I am, it fills the time. Meanwhile, one young man's time was cut short very unceremoniously. He was just pumping gas into his car, he wasn't smoking, his engine was turned off. A freakish static electricity event took his breath away forever. All this science I don't understand. Turns out it can be serious. Nineteen years old.

I don't mean to be a downer today. It hasn't been a bad day at all, in fact, it's been one of those days that I'm thankful for: beautiful and sunny, pleasant workday, nice run. It's just that this is a news item that slaps me hard and proclaims that time is not a given. I've always taken for granted that there will be a next hour, day, week, month, year.

Probably, maybe, perhaps.

4 comments:

Doug said...

Gahhh! Well, somehow it might be appropriate that Jan's funeral is tomorrow. You're in charge of good cheer for the two of us.

Lila said...

That is very sad.

"Tomorrow isn't promised" is what some of my Christian friends say... and it's true!

Nessa said...

This is why I don't catch the news.

Cheers to you and Doug.

Flash 55 - Avian Love

TLP said...

Yes, it was a sad and amazing story. That happened right down the street from the movie theater. I've always thought those things were urban legends.

Tomorrow is not a given. That's for sure.