Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Still January

January does seem like the longest month, though this one has been unusual; it got warm enough this past weekend that the squirrels were out chasing each other around, little fat things who will be so disappointed when they find out it's not spring. Then, it rained and it rained and it rained and Ekim said he saw lightning and there was flooding and power outtages.

And today, it's cold again.

What have I been up to? Well, I read my first Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlett, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, which had a really weird ending. I read some of Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, by David Foster Wallace, and found it beyond weird. This last work is not a novel, not a collection of short shories, but random interviews with strangely twisted people. It got too depressing for me, so I set it aside. It's not necessary to read every word to get the point, anyway. I'm also working on Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond, which I'm enjoying but will have to interrupt soon so that I get our next reading group novel in, which I've read before but don't remember well--The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It is sure to be an enjoyable read again, and then I will get back to Diamond's book before delving into all the sequels/companion books that beckon, such as The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larsson, 2010 by Arthur C. Clarke, The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. That's the plan. I'm SO good at carrying out my plans. (That's sarcasm).

And I'm all but committed to do The Broad Street 10 miler in Philadelphia this May, which I'm hoping will give me more incentive to get up in the morning. Getting up is so hard to do, for some reason. It's just a hateful time of the day for me. Wanting to stay in bed indefinitely is not a good way to be, not a happy symptom at all. Too many weekends are spent in my jamies. And so, I confess to throwing in the towel and actually making a doctor's appointment to talk it over. Que sera sera...


Let's just nap and read our lives away. Yep. Order books online, never leave the house!


Well, except for food and beer, which I have a disturbing need for. The beer, I mean. The food-need is quite normal, quite understandable. *Yawn* that margarita I just made myself is making me sleepy, better get to bed, so I can get up and run again.


7 comments:

TLP said...

You always make me laugh. Good stuff.

Do you have The Girl Who Played with Fire? I have it here you know. I read Guns, Germs, and Steel. Your Dad's book group read it. Pretty good.

You get a lot of reading done. A lot more than I do.

Tom & Icy said...

Your Twilight Zone Heaven will be a Library that stretches for miles filled with cute little kittens everywhere.

Doug said...

My favorite phrase from A Study in Scarlet, that I remember 25 years after last reading it, "A feud...in which love and mormonism play a part."

JAllgood said...

Oh, there you go again... adding to my need to read list! Thank you!

The Broad Street 10 miler! Good for you~! Signing up always gets me motivated. I hope it helps you.

Bone said...

Long January, not wanting to get out of bed, and running -- our lives have some parallels.

I'm all but committed to do a half marathon later this year. I've never done anything longer than a 10K.

tsduff said...

...horrified that my last comment never made it to print; It had to do with your Hop Back Into The Growler title... before reading your blog I never heard the word "growler". I recently read "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" and it was the best book EVER. In it, I learned several new terms, including "growler". Ah - a beer container - bottle even...

You remind me a lot of myself. I've been spending so many of my morning minutes ensconced in my billowy comforter that I usually end up late for work EVERY DAY. Hmmmm - could it be that I have no incentive anymore? Or perhaps nothing to look forward to? It is disconcerting. Let me know how your doc appt went okay hon?

Jocelyn said...

I applaud you making that dr.'s appt...and I'm with you in loving my nightly drink(s). I've gone four nights now with none, so I'm attempting to marshal that into some sort of feeling of triumph. But mostly, I want a glass of wine. Maybe tomorrow. Or not.

Anyhow, I must rush upstairs now to read; you and I are so the same. Do try Lorrie Moore's A GATE AT THE STAIRS, please. Oh, and LIT by Mary Carr.

'Cause it seems like you need more on your "To Read" list.