Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The real review



The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (translated in 2008) is the first of the Millennium Trilogy of crime novels written by Stieg Larsson, who did not attempt to get them published until shortly before his death. (This is only the second novel I've ever read that takes place in Sweden. That is neither here or there, it just is.)


Rarely do I finish 590 pages so swiftly! These pages kept turning and I kept reading, despite the fact that I often did not know where this story was headed. Larsson kept the pace moving by switching narratives and creating a unique and intriguing female main character. Actually, she's not the only main character, but she steals the show. Her name is Lisbeth Salander and she's an emotional wreck with a past that is never completely revealed to the reader, but one thing is for certain: she's as smart as a whip, and she can smart like a whip! Lisbeth is the smartest one in the room at all times, and this comes as a shock the many people around her who assume that she is quiet, dull, and horribly unsocial. She's not dull.



There's an official website for this book where you can go and friend Lisbeth on Facebook. This would be an attempt at humor--surely? Let me warn you, folks--Lisbeth does not do Facebook, and she certainly doesn't want to friend us. How do you define friendship, anyway?



The next books are The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'm really looking forward to reading them.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In other news, Serena the Cat has had a cold for days. She's sneezing. On me. Of course I don't expect a cat to cover her mouth, but wouldn't it be cute if she did? And hey, she'd have three paws left on the ground, wouldn't she?



Achoo! On second thought, if Serena started puttin' on human airs, it wouldn't be long until we might have another messy problem. Um, never mind.

6 comments:

Doug said...

Sounds good!

I don't know why Wilkie Collins keeps coming up these days. Ask Nessa, but the style with the multiple narrators moving a mystery along sounds like him.

Nessa said...

I'm gettin' me them books. They sound very interesting.

Perhaps you could get your kitty a face mask.

Doug, I am so looking forward to getting started on him.

Wordless Wednesday - Now That's Scary

TLP said...

Oh....I'm just itchin' to read this book!

Poor old Serena. Now where does a cat, who never leaves the house, catch a cold?

actonbell said...

Exactly my question, Mom!

Nessa, you will enjoy it:)

Doug, I meant to write narratIVES--this tale is never told in the first person, but the scene changes up. Either way, it works very well.

pia said...

As great as the first book is the second is way better. It's much tighter, cleaner and about her. Can't wait until next summer for the third

Can't imagine her friending people

tsduff said...

Serena gave me her cold...