Thursday, September 24, 2009

Up in the Air

Do you ever get that up in the air feeling at work? Eh, whatever happens, happens, as long as there are no horrible mistakes and you get to go home at the end of the day? The flu is making the rounds. Two people have put in their two week's notices, two are being transferred to other branches, our manager is now the manager of two branches, and that manager is starting to talk about paying people to be "on call." I think this means something like, "today is your day off, but if you agree to keep yourself ready all day to come in if needed, we'll pay you $25, even if you don't hafta come in. If you do hafta come into work, it's $25 on top of your regular pay."

This reminds me of a funny contest Coffee and the Jammer used to have on WTPA back in the eighties. They'd name a vegetable every morning, and then call people later that day and ask them what The Vegetable of the Day was. If you know the Vegetable to the Day, you win FIVE dollars! That's five dollars. Five dollars. It was hilarious. And they usually didn't have to call around too long to find someone who was not only available, but knowledgeable, too!

I wonder what that $25 bonus will look like after taxes. Since I don't have a cell phone, I don't think I'll be jumping up and down with my hand up for this opportunity.

Coffee and Jammer were on the air, but I think we can all agree that this is a goose up in the air.

I took time out of my busy schedule to shoot this goose.

6 comments:

TLP said...

You shot a goose! What would your Aunt Doris say???? Yesterday was the anniversary of her birth BTW.

Of course, she'd be happy since it's a photo after all.

Life's too short to be "on call." Especially since you don't need $25.

Logophile said...

Oooooh man,
that doesn't sound like much of a deal, that $25.

Now the $5 for knowing the veggie of the day? THAT was a deal.

Tom & Icy said...

If it's a goose in the air, what is the rain like? Good thing it wasn't a cow up there.

Doug said...

That's a duck, silly goose.

Nessa said...

Is the goose cooked?

Ariel the Thief said...

Yeah I know but I just hate the conception of never being left alone by work. It is just sick. Unless you love your work. Like those guys in the television series that have so exciting jobs and seem to do it all the time.