Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Boo!

Autumn snuck up on me. It's been here for about seven hours now, and I didn't even know it. It's noticeably darker now. Did that happen the week we were away? Summer was a bit odd this year, the way it was so rainy and not very warm for so long. Time does seem to go faster all the time as I grow older. The world should have a kickstand, or maybe just a slower gear to employ when a given season shouldn't be over.





Oh, yeah, and slowing down reminds me of turtles, which reminds me that I read another Terry Pratchett book while I was on vacation (What I Did During My Summer Vacation), called The Truth. So far, I have had fun reading every Discworld book I've ever gotten my hands on. In The Truth, Ankh Morpork's society gains a newpaper. The villians in this tale are especially funny.

Turtles also remind me of Mexico, of course. We were in Quitana Roo, south of Cancun, which reminds me of snakes because a tour guide once told us that the word Cancun meant snake's nest.

Speaking of snakes, US snakes seem to be most plentiful in the fall. Interesting.

So. Autumn is here, summer is not, and that's that. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Doug said...

It was over 100 degrees here today. Autumn my fallen leaves!

Jocelyn said...

I'm already freaking out over the shortened days...but autumn is sooooooooo beautiful that I forget to care.

Logophile said...

Our temps are back in the 80s this week, summer's last hurrah.

Whenever I read about people dealing with snakes I again rejoice that I live in western WA and we don't have any over here.
Bleck! The mere thought gives me heebie jeebies


word veri~ rhetorfl
Those are my favorite kinds of questions! :p

Nessa said...

Rain, more rain.

Terry Pratchett is a hoot.

TLP said...

Love the sinks in the post below. But they're better when you're in the mirror.

You are so sweet to worry about the people who are employed in Mexico.

Ariel the Thief said...

LOL TLP!

Time fasts up as we age, what a relief!

Bone said...

It was an odd summer here, too. June was hotter than normal. July was about average I would think. Then August and September have just been all cloudy and rainy.

Hopefully, this means there'll be more snow this winter. I don't know why it would, but I just always hope for snow here.

ReesePie said...

I have finally finished ALL the discworld books and am anxiously awaiting more! His diagnosis of Alzheimers breaks my heart.