Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ups and Downs

This week, starting with the previous weekend, is Hell Week at work. I'm really hoping that it doesn't turn into Hell Week Part II next week. In fact, I bet we'll make the local news. People will probably shy away from applying to work with us.



Oh, let's see--the short story is, the bank I'm working for split, part of it being bought out by another bank. Then, the remaining part of the bank, where I work, bought out another bank, so now we are changing our name (which is legally necessary), and getting a whole new computer system. It's. been. hell. Absolutely everything's buggy, people can't see their accounts online, some people's debit/check cards are being denied for no good reason, we can't even print out statements. The phones are ringing ALL DAY. At one point, all our computers were frozen, in all branches. Synchronicity. The IT department has been taking hours to get back to us with any answers. Many of us tellers have been giving customers make-shift receipts for their transactions, since the printers aren't even functioning properly.





Do I feel sorry for IT? Yes. Yes, I do. And yet. We're the ones who have to use this....system. Oi

13 comments:

Doug said...

Ooof. That's embarassing, too. IT people make convenient scapegoats but not inappropriate ones.

Tom & Icy said...

I'm glad you mentioned that. I had been keeping cash hidden in the house in case I lost my card or it was stolen, then I'd be unable to buy any food or anything. I hate to keep cash on hand, but you never know when something crazy could happen.

Nessa said...

At least you are smart enough to give makeshift receipts. I went to a place once where they didn't have a clue what to do when the computers were down.

Sean P. Farley said...

Acton, you're the sweetest! No need to worry about me (but it feels nice that you do!). All the pieces will fit eventually. I just finished another blog post that I'd love your input on, so let me know what you think. As for your horror stories regarding work, I empathize. In this day and age of computers, we rely so heavily on them that when they fail it's like, "What the f*#$?" But we survive. p.s. I feel bad that poor sap from your work got fired, but what a way to go! If I were the customer, that would have made my day!

Logophile said...

oy vey,
I hope your customers are not treating you badly in their impatience.
Over the weekend I was in the library and the book Gentlemen of the Road caught my eye. I knew I'd heard someone mention it but couldn't place it. When I arrived here today I realized, It was YOU!!
I don't know that I've read anything else by him so I will stick it out and see what I think but maybe I get one of his other books though, just to give him a fair trail.

TLP said...

Wowza. Big mess! I can't even imagine the public's reaction to all this!

I remember one Christmas when my bureau brought up the new payroll system for the state. I was running from office to office on Capital Hill on XMAS eve. All around me people were having office Chirstmas parties, and my section was putting out the fires of a new system. I felt sorry for myself. You have to be very high up in the IT world to be the f*ckard who made the decision about going live with a system that still has problems. The average IT person is suffering too. Still. No one suffers like the person who faces the public.

Balou said...

Oh what a mess! I hope they get things straightened out soon. Things will get better. My bank has gone through two new ownerships but luckily without a hitch on my end. In the meantime...C'mere kitty, let me open that bottle for you.

TLP said...

Hey! You guys did make the news!!!!

Fred said...

What a mess. People want to be able to see their money, so I can imagine there were some pretty irritated folks. I hope it's died down by now.

Siobhán said...

it'll all be over soon...

Customer Servant said...

pssst! I started that new blog I was talking about, but I can't post it on my other one since I'm trying to be "anonymous". It's yours truly, deli guy (the one who got the can).

Jocelyn said...

You may be too gentle in merely calling it Hell Week. Would mo-fo effing Hell Week be even more appropos?

Scarlet W. Blue said...

That cat reminds me of...me?