Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

Oh, it's been a Nap Fest, I'll admit it. It's a rather gray day, too, not too hot. Comfy.

We watched Rachel Getting Married last night, and give it two thumbs up. I would expect a movie that revolves around a wedding to be funny, but this movie is an exception. Very good, but very sad, but sad in a very real way, not maudlin or tear-jerky. Everyone was good, and it was as thought-provoking as a densely written novel.

During my lazy Sunday, I've been trying to read (between nodding off) and browsing pictures. I think I have a need to waste time. Down time. Some of us need more of it than others do. I've also been sort-of reading the paper, and skimming magazines, too. I absolutely love the VISA debit card advertisements.





Have you ever overdosed on wasabi? Yes. Yes, I have, and when I do, I feel the sensation in the back of my head, near my occipital ridge. Not good, but I've learned to be very careful.

I'm slowly making my way through a book about Frank Floyd Wright, and I'm learning about all kinds of stuff, including the Mann Act of 1913:

The Mann Act made it a felony to transport or aid in the transportation of a woman in interstate or foreign commerce “for the purpose of prostitution or debauchery, or for any other immoral purpose, or with the intent and purpose to induce, entice, or compel such woman or girl” to immoral acts.

So--a man who crossed a state line with a woman not his wife could be jailed. Interesting.

Happy Monday, everyone!

4 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

Oh gosh. It's Monday already! Time flies!

Doug said...

The assumption being a wife cannot be induced to debauchery? That's so victorian!

TLP said...

It should be the woman Act.

Nessa said...

Only men are capable of acting.