Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quaint

A few months ago, I fell in love with these jeans from the Newport News catalog, but they were too expensive for my jean-budget. So, I took a gander at Ebay, and sure enough, someone was selling them for a fraction of the cost. Now, it's always a gamble to buy jeans without trying them on, I know this, but I took the risk of getting something less than perfect without a way of returning them.

When they arrived, they were in perfect condition, just as advertised-- but they don't fit me right. Perhaps I just fell in love with this picture. This happens to me all the time: I adore clothes as seen on models who are standing just so in perfect lighting with pins running down their backs. I'm still almost as gullible and unrealistic as I was in my youth.

Actually, I'm feeling a bit of an identify crisis right now--what, exactly, do I want? What looks good on my 45-year-old self, what looks appropriate, what would look ridiculous? Working with a crowd of much younger women is not helping me in this department. I feel wrinkled, under made-up, unfashionable, and decrepit. Before, I hadn't realized how old I was getting. Really. It's being surrounded by the texting, facebook, hip hop, dramatically over-sensitive crowd that is suddenly making me feel other in a way I've never experienced.

Not that I envy anything I see. I don't. But even though I'm not working with models or anyone who is apt to set the world ablaze with any special talent, I'm still the insecure personality that I was at sixteen; overconfident young people scare the hell out of me. After a whole year of working with them, I'm still getting used to it. (Waifer referred to me as quaint when he was tipsy at the awards show. At least he was extremely tactful. They say the darnedest things).

I still think these jeans are lovely, even if my taste runs a bit--quaint, and so decided to see if a local consignment store would accept them. Since they require consignors to bring in ten items, I did, and they accepted six of them, items I'd almost taken to the Salvation Army--but these jeans were among the four items I brought back. So was a pretty, floral McClintock dress which I hate to admit has become a bit tight around the midsection. Too unusual, too out of style?? Don't ask me. Obviously, I don't know.

One thing is for certain, though: today is a lovely day, life is good right now, and it's time to get outside. Happy weekend, everyone!

12 comments:

Doug said...

Boy, you're getting a little promiscuous in the inanimate world. Enjoy the day!

Siobhán said...

I love those jeans too - remind me of the early 70's when my older sister was living in the US. She would bring back good quality jeans that she'd buy for a fraction of what we'd pay here. BUT... they were skinny legs while the fashion here was flared. I specifically remember a pair of red denims she brought back. My mother bought some plain blue denim fabric and sewed in flares for me. I strutted around in those jeans. I just loved them.

About you and being 45 etc. I sympathise. I'm 47 in June. I splashed out this year on a stylist. I haven't had a makeover as such, she just helped me take a fresh objective look at myself and manage to look stylish without worrying about that extra bit of weight around the middle etc.

Anyway - good luck!

tsduff said...

I used to shop in the Newport News catalog too - but nothing ever fit me either. (maybe it is because I'm about 5 sizes bigger than their extra large LOL) They have beautiful coats. Wait until you pass the big five-oh....like I did 2 years ago ;)

TLP said...

LOL. Acton's mother here. Acton is SKINNY. S-k-i-n-n-y. She can wear anything and look good in it.

Listen kid, when you complained about wrinkles the other night, I looked hard for them. Nope. No wrinkles. You're still a doll.

Fred said...

I have about twenty pairs of jeans from in sizes from 32 to 36. Depending on where I am with my weight, I just pick and choose. I don't think I'll ever see a 32 again, but it's nice to dream, isn't it?

Tom & Icy said...

That 'pins in the back' idea worked great, but people thought I was kind of strange, like something out of a Woody Allen movie, when I kept walking around trying to keep close to the walls.

Ariel the Thief said...

Feeling other in a new way is part of aging, I guess? But the old way of your being other is probably one reason why I came to like you among all bloggers. Not that there is anything wrong with not being other but meeting someone "other" feels like a glass of cool water on a hot day in this crazy world that firmly believes it is normal. Oh and I saw lots of pictures of yours, and I saw a great-looking woman every time, no matter what she wore. Lucky genes, the credit should go to your Mom not you. :-P

Ariel the Thief said...

LOL Tom! Those pins are the ones keep clothes tight on them, and sometimes to tense the skin on their waist or thighs while the photographer is taking their picture.

Bone said...

Well I don't know anything about anything, but those jeans are anything but quaint :)

Sean P. Farley said...

Clothes don't fit me right AT ALL. Ever. It's my mid-section, the Farley love handles. When I gain weight it goes to my love handles. So that means jeans don't fit right, and that shirts hang odd...I applaud your courage to buy pants off ebay; I couldn't do it off a rack, let alone ebay. Sigh -- to have a body like Tom Brady or Matthew McConnaghay (I know I spelled that wrong).

Nessa said...

Very interesting post. Perception is everything. I suggust just spending your day posing. That will defintiely work, don't you think?

sharazad said...

I'm young- and sometimes I am a little unhappy with my...hardware,shall we say?

Trust me, those younger women you work with probably wish they had some of your qualities.

Of course, jeans give everybody trouble.