Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring, Listmania, and Such



Happy first day of spring, everyone! It's still a bit nippy here, but it certainly feels like early spring. My hibernation is over, I can tell because I suddenly see all this stuff that needs to be thrown out and cleaned up. Where did I get all these magazines? They all look interesting, but I haven't had time to read them, since I've had to sleep so much. The days are still a bit groggy, but I'm beginning to feel a willingness to stay awake and vertical for longer stretches of time. Winter is so depressing, but it's over now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mental Floss Magazine recently published a list of 25 of the most influential books of the last 25 years.

And The Band Played On - Randy Shilts
Maus - Art Spiegelman
Listening To Prozac - Peter D. Kramer
Thinking In Pictures - Temple Grandin
Nickel and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich
Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The Easy Way To Stop Smoking - Allen Carr
A Perfect Spy - John le Carre
What Is The What - Dave Eggers
On Writing - Stephen King
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
The Known World - Edward P. Jones
Harry Potter and The Sorceror's (Philosopher's) Stone - J.K. Rowling
How Proust Can Change Your Life - Alain de Botton
The Bonfire of the Vanities - Tom Wolfe
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
Beloved - Toni Morrison
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Freakonomics - Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Lynne Truss
The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell


I've read seven of these. There are a myriad of book lists out there, and this one focuses on books that have made people read more, look at things in a different way, or are books that are written or marketed in new ways. Actually, I think there are 25 different reasons. There are a few books here that I really should read, though I think I'll skip the one about smoking.

11 comments:

Lee said...

Cute critter. What is he?

Doug said...

I've read fewer than seven, but I knew some of the folks from the CDC Shilts' book talked about. Can I get partial credit.

By the way, if I didn't mention, I think "Twitterpated" should be this year's "Hitonious."

actonbell said...

Lee, that's a groundhog!
Yes, Doug,you get partial credit. And twitterpated belongs to Disney, but I like it, too.

Tom & Icy said...

He's sort of a scary looking thing but seems sensitive with the flower, unless it's his lunch.

TC said...

Wow. I've only read two of those. I'm kind of horrified, considering it seems like I'm always checking out a new book.

Ariel the Thief said...

Actonbell, I'm curious to see YOUR list of the most influential books of your life. No matter I probably hardly know any of them :) I'm still curious!

Tom & Icy said...

Ariel had an interesting point. It might even be interesting to see YOUR list of books you'd like to see written and who by. Now, an autobiography by Doug Pascover would be interesting.

TLP said...

I've read only 5 of these. Several others are in the house, but just don't call out to me.

I'll third the idea of YOUR list of good books.

Nessa said...

I've read a whopping 2.

Happy Spring.

Bone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bone said...

I'm beginning to feel a willingness to stay awake and vertical for longer stretches of time

You and me both. Good riddance, winter. And to Snow: Farewell my winter love. Though I only got to see you for a few hours this year.

Also, I keep On Writing in my bathroom.