Monday, March 09, 2009

Getting Stuck

Today was the dark side of Daylight Savings Time. I know, it's only an hour, but springing forward always annihilates me. It's a good thing I don't have far to go to work, or I'd have been fired by now. On most mornings, I'm one of the two openers, which means I must get to the bank at 7:00am. I have gotten very good at peeling myself out of bed at 6:25, making a cup of coffee whilst bolting a bowl of cereal (NEVER skip breakfast, nocando), throwing on the uniform (another saving grace), cleaning up after the cat, gathering up my stuff, and driving to work with my precious cup of coffee. And I almost always beat the other person there. This morning, however, was an extra workout, because I got up at 6:32am with one of those lack-of-sleep headaches. I still managed to get to work at 6:57am, looking my very best, I'm sure. Oh, and the bank's lights are on a timer which doesn't know about Daylights Savings Time, and this brought back dark, nostalgic memories of last year. At least we got a one-hour reprieve from the lobby's muzak.

This has got to stop. I must start getting up at 6am. Argh. We lost Roosterdo, a young male teller who insisted he needed to work the earliest possible schedule because he had an evening job. Unfortunately, he wasn't so reliable and called off a lot, which was disastrous for an opener, since he was putting the other opener in a bad position--no one should open alone, and it's almost impossible, anyway. So, long story short, he didn't work out and he's gone. So, suddenly, I'm opening *yawn* almost all the time.

It won't be forever, I know, but that's not the point: I need to light a bonfire under myself, or something. I am running again, but that doesn't excuse this staying-in-bed as-long-as-I-possibly-can behavior.



funny pictures
moar funny pictures

Well. I could stop at any time. It could happen.

10 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

I was the lone opener at a school for several years and if I was late, it screwed up 1200 other people's schedules. I was late one time and there was pure panic.

Cheesemeister said...

I overslept and was an hour and a half late to work. Ooops...

actonbell said...

Wow, Tom, that's some responsibility.
LOL, Cheesemeister!

Doug said...

DST always feels like theft.

SJW said...

We don't switch in this part of the world for another few weeks.

But I just love this time of year when it is bright in the mornings. Still difficult, but certainly easier to get out of bed than on those dark December days.

I don't have that "opener" pressure though.

Nessa said...

I feel your pain. Not easy to adjust. They should just leave the damn clock alone.

Balou said...

I'm tired for a week after DST. I get it.

Why can't I get a job pushing the snooze button?

tsduff said...

It is a jolt to have the time be so messed with. When I worked in Corporate Security at the bank, we came to work early and saw many an opening procedure. Kind of fun to remember it now - although I'm sorry you are left holding the blinds so often.

Sean P. Farley said...

Hey acton,
I love that you continuously read my blog even when I'm lax about reading yours! Thank you!!! Anyway, yeah, the sleepers at the library. Blah. I'm also here to do some gratuitous name-dropping on behalf of my friend, Midge Raymond. She recently had a book of short stories published (she's AMAZING), all from other publications like Indiana Review and such. And since I know you're an avid reader, I'm just spreading the word! Hope your week is going well.
Hugs,
Sean

Sean P. Farley said...

Okay, I soooooo know the feeling about all of this: the waking up early, losing an hour, and having unreliable co-workers. First off, the one day of the week where I actually work the earliest (8 a.m., sorry, didn't mean to rub it in) has to be the day we lose an hour. Ouch. But as for shitty co-workers, try opening at Starbucks at 4:30 in the morning and DREADING the ringing phone at 4:35....it only means one thing. "I'm not feeling well..." Whatever. Now try calling your co-workers at 4:35 in the morning to ask if they can work. Needless to say, it was a lot of voicemails and a lot of running around. Sheesh!