Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Ogre Day!



Since Doug has proclaimed this Ogre Day, I couldn't resist posting a good song in honor of my favorite ogre (Doug isn't a real ogre, so he doesn't count). A couple of animals get blown up in a disturbing fashion in this video. Just a warning.

Did you have a nice Valentine's Day?

I did: got my car inspected for not a lot of money, filled my tank for under $15 bucks, and actually vacuumed the inside, as well. So. I got something accomplished, which is more than I can say for most of my weekends. THEN, I had a nice visit with my parents, followed by a long afternoon nap.

The nap was too long, because we wanted to play Scrabble before going out to a little bar across the river to hear a three-man jazz group. So, we played speed-Scrabble, which isplayingreallyfast,withoutgettingtoruminatetoomuchaboutstrategyorcomingupwithabetterword andthisresultedinplummetingscores BUT, in the end, Ekim wound up beating me in a typically wide chasm, 365 to 256. But, I forgave him, since it was Valentine's Day and all. And it's just a game. And it was nice of him not to wake me up to play a game. And speed Scrabble just might be good practice.

Enough about Scrabble. When we got home, we watched a video I finally got from the library (I'd been on a waiting list for awhile. It was exciting news, when my turn came up), Mad Men. I've now seen the first five episodes, and have one more on this tape to look forward to. Good times!

As I was milling around a used bookstore yesterday, I saw an Ogden Nash quote: “Middle age is when you're sitting at home on a Saturday night and the telephone rings and you hope it isn't for you.”

This is so true! And it's not a sad quote, either: it's great to be happy at home in your own world, instead of yearning for something else, or feeling anxiety about someone else.

If you're happy and you know it--be glad. Happy Sunday, everyone!

10 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

Playing Scrabble, I admire you. It must be nice to know how to spell and what words mean. Without the crutches of Dictionaries and Spell Checkers, we'd be illiterate.
Old age is when you are happy to get spam in your inbox.

Doug said...

I'll admit to cheerful. Well, tomorrow, I will. Today there's an important holiday to observe. C'mere, puppy!

(Am so an ogre!)

TLP said...

I'm happy. And I know it. Maybe content is a better word, but I think content is wonderful.

cooper said...

It sounds like a great V day for you. My boyfriend doesn't live here he lives in NYC but as he was in Thailand,so I spent it with a friend drinking Sangria....

Some Ogres are just better than others.

Nessa said...

Lovely post. Sounds like a great Saturday/Valentine's Day to me.

We love being home, too.

Ariel the Thief said...

Doug is not a real ogre???

Speed-Scrabble sounds like an olimpic game. LOL Tom! Without Google and online dictionary I'm just the idiot I am.

Ariel the Thief said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
G said...

Ha, that is a perfect quote and when the phone rings on a Saturday night, I grimmace at it and let someone else get it. Love MadMen - enjoy the last episode. Sounds like a great Vday. Nothing spells love like SpeedScrabble :)

ReesePie said...

What is it about Scrabble? I found it quite romantic too.

tsduff said...

I could listen to that song a billion times - accidentally. LOVE this post - great great great! Hope it was a happy day. I hate to rat anyone else, but the carefully built myth of the Ogre of Doug is not true. There, I said it. xo