Sunday, January 11, 2009

Movies

It seems that there have never been so many movies out at one time that intrigue me.

Milk--the story of Harvey Milk, who became the first openly gay man to ever be elected for public office. He was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977.

The Reader--well, of course I'm very curious what the movie is like, having finally read the book.

Frost/Nixon--Nixon's presidency and all the controversy it caused happened before I was old enough to have any opinions.

The Duchess--I enjoy period films, and I like the actors in this one.

Doubt--Ekim and I got to see this on Broadway, and both thought it was an extremely smart play. And now it's on the big screen, with Meryl Streep, no less.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button--it's an F. Scott Fitzgerald short story. It's grand to keep his memory alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~
This past Wednesday (Jan 7), while we were gnoshing our pizza, we caught the second half of PBS's airing of Cyrano de Bergerac, with Kevin Kline as Cyrano, and Jennifer Garner as Roxanne. I loved it. A whole bunch of years ago, 1980-something, there was an updated-style movie called Roxanne, starring Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah. That was a fun movie, but no where near as richly wordy or funny as the original play, by Edmond Rostand.


Whoever's responsible for the nose job can take a bow

7 comments:

Doug said...

I approve of the nose.

Tom & Icy said...

I don't know if I'm really missing anything or not? I haven't been to a theater in years and never to a play. I wait until a movie goes to DVD and then is pawned at the pawnshop. My library card was stolen so I had to cancel it and haven't gone to get a new one. I can't see to read anyway now, so I might join a audio book club online.

Bone said...

Love Fitzgerald. I'm not sure I went to a movie theatre in all of 2008.

Ariel the Thief said...

It was another Cyrano I saw but I loved it, too. Great play!

Logophile said...

oooo, that sounds promising, I love Kevin Kline.
The book background also good

TLP said...

Well, the wearer of the nose would hurt himself in important places if he took a bow!

actonbell said...

Me too, Doug:)
Tom, I see almost everything on DVD, and I think audio books would be a great idea.
Bone, I rarely go, myself.
Ariel, indeed it is.
Thank you, Logophile. And I really like him, too.
Mom, OMG! You're always thinking.