Tuesday, January 06, 2009

More Information, please


Almost every Friday, after we grocery shop, Ekim fills up his tank at the nearby gas station, serviced by an attendant sitting in a very very small structure. While he is pumping gas, I always give this little building a thrice-over. I can't help it. See, there is no restroom. Can't be. There isn't room, I've looked. This is disturbing.

Years ago, though, there was a tiny place in this area called Java the Hut, a very cute coffee place, but it looked like the same deal. That was really disturbing.
If you know what these people do to survive, please tell me. It will make me feel better.

7 comments:

Doug said...

I bet there's an empty water bottle. Don't ask.

TLP said...

There has to be some accommodation for the attendant. But since it's so close to the grocery store, maybe the deal is that the attendant can call over to the store and ask for someone to come and take over for a while.

It cannot be just a water bottle, because then they would be in the position of never hiring a female. They never DO hire a female, but they have to pretend that they would/could.

You're right on the edge of weird here, yaknowwhati'msayin'? (Now I HAVE to know the answer.)

Ariel the Thief said...

I ask myself the same question every time I see those people selling stuff in the street, they set up their desks early in the morning and stay there after dark, every day, summer and winter, some has at least something to sit down but some has not, do they ever drink?

Tom & Icy said...

Stick your head inside and take a whiff. Phew!

TLP said...

Answer to Ariel: I saw a hidden-camera thing on television where they showed the street vendor sneaking into an alley and urinating there. That's gross, but then he came back and starting serving hot dogs and such to people. He had no way of washing his hands. I haven't eaten anything from a street vendor since then.

weirsdo said...

One night Toyplayer really had to go and we stopped at one of those places. I think it was a Walmart gas station. They had locked bathrooms that didn't look like bathrooms nearby, just for employees, but they took pity on us, fortunately.

Ariel the Thief said...

TLP, thanks!