Saturday, December 27, 2008

End of Year list

One thing I must resolve to do this year is see the eye doctor. That said, I've managed to read my way through 28 books this year, not too sluggish, for me.

Lots of good memories, here. Next up: The Book of the Unknown Tales of the Thirty Six, by Jonathon Keats. It's a freebie from the Early Reviews program over at LibraryThing. Actually, it's supposed to be my second one, but it's arrived before the first:) It's a collection of short stories, and they look most intriguing.


Bridge of Sighs, by Richard Russo

A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

The Autumn of the Patriarch, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

What is the What? by Dave Eggers

No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy

LAMB, by Christopher Moore

The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger

The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

Waiting for Snow in Havana, by Carlos Eire

This Common Secret, by Susan Wecklund

Something Rotten, by Jasper Fforde

Atonement, by Ian McEwan

Three Junes, by Julia Glass

The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon

Chronicles of a Death Foretold, by Gabriel Garcia
Marquez

Getting Mother's Body, by Suzan-Lori Parks

The Hotel New Hampshire, by John Irving

Jane and the Man of the Cloth, by Stephanie Barron

The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers

The Film Club, by David Gilmour

Interpreter of Maladies, by Jhumpa Lahiri

March, by Geraldine Brooks

The Crying of Lot 49, by Thomas Pynchon

The Sea, by John Banville

Divisadero, by Michael ondaatje

4 comments:

TLP said...

Many good memories indeed! Thanks for the list. I'd already forgotten about reading many of these.

Minka said...

Actonbell...a Happy New Year to you, may it bring many more interesting books!
My books last year involved "The Fundamentals of Physiology" and "The Secrets into Microbiology", i do get points for that, right?!

actonbell said...

Hi, Mom! You read more than I did. I'm green.

Monika, most definitely. Quadruple points, at least!

Sean P. Farley said...

Happy New Year!
Sorry it's been so long since I've commented -- I still don't have access to internet at home and since school is out for a month...well, you get the point. I'm at my sister's (across the hall!) using her computer. 28 books! I'm impressed. I think you, most of all, will respect and understand my New Year's Resolution (of course this means you need to visit my blog once again, where I will post a blog about it -- and maybe you can help, too!). Glad all is well. I, too, need to see an eye doctor. The glasses I'm wearing right now are a 5 year old prescription. Yikes!
hugs,
Sean