Tuesday, November 25, 2008

here we go...

First, an update: Ekim's trip went very well, including his trip home. Since he's always full of energy, he seems to be adjusting to the time change pretty well, but then, he's also good at suckin' it up. He's been waking up at odd hours of the night, and then felt drowsy during his drive home from work the other day, which is not good. He loved Tokyo, loved the orderliness of the place, and said that even the homeless living in a nearby park were living in an orderly fashion. The food was wonderful, his hosts were very nice, and he enjoyed his stay very much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The day after tomorrow is that special day, Thanksgiving. Well, it hasn't always been the happiest of days. When I was a kid, I thought of it as sort of a half good-half bad day. The bad part was waiting longer than usual for lunch, the best part was when we had company that included other kids, and if that didn't happen, at least I've always enjoyed eating large quantities of food. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't happen all the time, I figure. There were plenty of Thanksgivings I don't remember at all, and then there were those fun ones, especially when all of us kids ate at The Kids Table, and of course we still laugh about that time little Aral sat in her little highchair and ate the stick of butter, much to our laughter and applause. She's always loved attention.



Of course, I'm spoiled; I've never had to cook on Thanksgiving, not ever. Wouldn't know what to do with a turkey. If left to my own devices, I'd probably go to Wegman's and buy everything already prepared, and I'd probably have to get advice on how to do that. How long do I warm this up? Do I have to take the wrapper off, first? You get the picture.



So, on Thanksgiving Day, Ekim and I will drive through the 'burg and the chocolate air, past the elms and the old town square, to his parents' house, where my mother-in-law will have made an entire dinner without looking the least bit stressed or tired. If I had to do this, I would definitely look stressed and tired and not be looking forward to Thanksgiving at all. I am thankful that this holiday is not only free of drudgery, but also full of pleasant company.

We'll listen to Alice's Restaurant on the way, and after that fateful day, it will be Christmas music everywhere for the foreseeable month.



Honestly, I always suspect that other people feel more sentimental about the holidays than I do. Honestly, I'm mainly looking forward to the bunch of days off work that are coming my way next month.



Oh, wait--I forgot--the president will pardon another turkey on Thursday, huh?


That's nice.

7 comments:

Doug said...

Glad for the good trip and glad you've never been made to make Thanksgiving dinner. But I hope that doesn't mean no leftovers.

You ARE a snapdragon!

Balou said...

I'm with you on ordering the meal and picking it up. Have a good time!

Ariel the Thief said...

Your mother-in-law is quite something. When I have to make entire dinners, I feel so stressed and threat my guests with knife if they stand in my way...

Days off are fun. :-P

TLP said...

I raise you right.

TLP said...

I would like to say however, that I have NOT forgotten that you, and your siblings, and your cousins encouraged poor little AP3 to eat all that butter. Nope. Not no way. Not no how.

ReesePie said...

I hadn't ever done any Thanksgiving cooking until a couple of years ago, and or my first time I did mashed potatoes, apple crisp, pumpkin cheesecake, it was fun!

Fred said...

Hope you had a good time at MIL's house. The Missus is amazing like that, too...she can do it without looking the least bit stressed.

Happy Thanksgiving!