Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fanny and Alexander


Fanny and Alexander, Ingmar Bergman's last movie, is beautiful. The photography, the colors, the scenes, and the characters are sumptuously created. Actually, I don't feel worthy to say much about such extreme artistry, but I will say that I regret trying to watch it straight through, all at once. It's a very long film, which has an intermission, and I should have taken one. I should have watched the last quarter of this film with fresher eyes than I did.
Set in turn-of-the-century Uppsala, Sweden, the story is mainly about Alexander and the effect that his father's death has on his family. This family is depicted in great detail, with the good and the bad getting equal attention. Warts and all, family is the most important thing about Alexander's life, and when his grieving mother remarries, the results are, at first, devastating. That is, until they manage to escape the stepfather, a local bishop. This movie definitely explores religious topics. I know that my viewing only skimmed the surface, and that the original movie was meant to be a four-part television movie, and what I have just seen was actually a shortened version!

7 comments:

TLP said...

Sounds interesting, but I do have trouble watching LONG movies!

Ariel the Thief said...

Isn't it beautiful?

Have you seen his movie of the Magic Flute?

actonbell said...

Mom, I should have started at noon.

Ariel, I have not seen that. You know a lot about movies!

Ariel the Thief said...

Oh this is just that I fell in love with Bergman once and I tried to learn Swedish. I've never done but saw some movies of his. Then realized they annoy me except 3. :)

Ariel the Thief said...

No, 4!

verifier: shines

actonbell said...

Except 4, Ariel? You mean all except 4 of his movies annoy you? I don't even know how many he made--NO idea:)

Ariel the Thief said...

Neither do I. :-)