Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Rabbit, rabbit.


Rabbit, rabbit, on the first day of October. It's become so trite to remark on how fast the time goes, but I can't help it. Good luck in October, everyone! For snorts and grins, go google-image "rabbit rabbit" and see how often a certain blog comes up. Just sayin'.




Watching the earliest leaves blowing, not involved in the words, fragments of stories drifting by, nothing matters but everything is important, shave it down to the bare essentials, the minimum obligations. Such peace and tranquility and good health and good luck.


And here she comes, her elegant heels, the perfect grooming, the identical, perfectly-fitting pastel dresses made meticulously with her own hands, all narrow affairs with empire waists hugging her tiny waist. A folding shopping cart leaned on, pushed with a purpose punctuated by pink or lavender or powder blue pumps. A frail, beautifully coiffed apparition from another age, crossing a parking lot, walking amongst the flip-flopped, the sweaty, the careless crowd.
And then another, rushing back from lunch, excited, a new coat, bought on sale. Flushed cheeks, must show the world this gorgeous leather coat, must bring it in, still wrapped in plastic, must have us join in the celebration.
Now I am wrapped in plastic, I smile and twitter with her, muted behind my membrane, the layers formed by many autumns.
May this autumn provide better memories than we expect--cheers, and happy humpday!

18 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

Rabbit rabbit. Pizza pizza. Does he share it with the cat? Icy leaves some for the cat; it has helped her get over the grief of losing her daddy Dusty Doggy.

Doug said...

Rabbit rabbit

Walela used to love piles of autumn leaves on the ground, back when we lived somewhere that existed.

Ariel the Thief said...

Rabbit rabbit! Tanlucypez is famous.

Actonbell, that was beautiful. So is autumn.

AP3 said...

Rabbit, rabbit!

TLP said...

Rabbit rabbit. I love the way you write!!!! As I've said before, you really should write a book--you don't have to try to publish it. Just write. You do it so very well.

I'm going to google "rabbit rabbit."

TLP said...

Okay, I do come up on google a couple, maybe three times. Maybe a tad more. Tom and Icy have more than one or two as well.

Should I be worried?

actonbell said...

Aw, Tom, that's sweet of Icy:)

Doug, I bet the leaves are full of wonderful smells.

Ariel, you're right that autumn is beautiful,and thank you:)

Rabbit, rabbit, Aral!

No, Mom! You've done a great job spreading the luck!

Fred said...

Rabbit, rabbit! This is still our hurricane season, so we're hoping it'll pass with little fanfare.

TLP said...

LOL. Guess what? I just landed here via the Black Box. I really did laugh out loud when it happened.

Cheesemeister said...

That little rabbit looks very much like my rabbit Daria, who loves apples and corn sticks.

ReesePie said...

Who knew bunnies like pizza?!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Very pretty, Ms. Acton.

indique said...

Hey how do you get the black box? I cant seem to link through your website

Saur♥Kraut said...

...you had an encounter with a Stepford wife!...

jeff@sally said...

Came to you via the black box. :) But your rabbit rabbit was sooo familiar. Terry's from Terry's time out is my big sis.
Happy autum to you

Fred said...

The Black Box finally sent me here. Yay!

TLP said...

I read this entry to your dad and he declared it "poetry."

tsduff said...

Rabbit Rabbit - okay already, Tibbar tibbar..... A rabbit that eats pizza is all right. *urp*

I've been away.