Ekim's closest friend since childhood, GB, grew up and married a very nice woman and had three very nice children who are now basically grown, two being in college and one in high school. Unfortunately, this friend has been through a lot during the past ten years: he had an agressive esophageal cancer, which was treated very aggressively, which unfortunately damaged his kidneys to the point of shutting them down, which resulted in dialysis, and things got so bad that he desperately needed a kidney. His mother was the best candidate, but two days before the transplant operation was to take place, they discovered that she was in the very early stages of leukemia, so no doctor would take her kidney. Ekim was then considered the next choice, and he underwent all kinds of tests until the most expensive one, a CT scan, which shocked a radiologist at Johns Hopkins. "You're here for---a kidney donation??? Don't have any more tests!!" It seems that Ekim did not have a kidney to donate, since he was born with only one. If it hadn't been for all that testing, he would never have known. Anyway, this news was a big shock for his poor friend, as well as Ekim, since he's basically planned the next year of his life around his recovery time. Luckily, GB had other possible donors, and the next one in line worked out. The kidney he has now will not last forever, and another friend, DE, stands ready in the wings to be next. (And DE's actually the best match, so far. Ekim and I were not good matches, and now I'd like to know how good a match I'd be for Ekim...)
Anyway, I've made this into a very short story, not going into the fact that GB no longer has a stomach, since they removed his entire esophagus and stretched his stomach up to take its place, and all the digestive and nutritional issues he has....so, wouldn't it be a shame if, after going through ALL of that, he died in some kind of awful, tragic accident?
Well, he didn't. But, he could have--his house caught fire in the wee hours of the night recently, and it seems to have started with a dehumidifier. There were three of them at home--two away at school, while the youngest one, the rebel, was disobeying their orders by staying up until 3am, playing video games. He was the one who dialed 911 and woke them up, since the sound of their basement smoke alarm did not travel upstairs well enough. (They'll have NO leverage getting him to bed, now.) The material damage is horrendous, but of course they are thankful that no one was hurt. When you've been through what this family has been through, STUFF cannot matter as much. It is a major inconvenience, though. There will be extensive reconstruction, and it was just five days ago that they had new kitchen cabinets installed. They are are ruined, of course.
GB's family is not allowed to have any more bad stuff happen. I decree this, effective NOW.