Sunday, October 05, 2008

In Bruges

Our latest Saturday Night Movie was In Bruges, a very black comedy starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes, along with an excellent supporting cast.

This is the first time I've seen Colin Farrell in anything, though I'd certainly heard of him, and I thought he was wonderfully appealing at times, while simply reprehensible at others. He succeeded in growing on me, as he was supposed to. Brendan Gleeson plays an exceptionally sympathetic character, for a hit man, and Ralph Fiennes is meaner, harder, and more evil than I thought he could ever be.

I did not know how to pronounce Bruges before this movie--it rhymes with "stooge." And do not make it plural, either. I also didn't know it was in Belgium. It does look like a fairy tale medieval city, as we keep hearing Harry (Ralph Fiennes) say so inelegantly over the phone. Harry has sent his two underlings, Ray (Farrell) and Ken (Gleeson) there on holiday, with the intention of giving Ray one last good time before dealing with him. However, Ray is hilariously bored with this kind of sightseeing, until he meets a pretty young woman. Ken, on the other hand, is enthralled with the cultural and sightseeing opportunities in Bruges.

This movie does have its serious moments, but it's mostly fun. It's an original, highly entertaining flick which I happily recommend!

6 comments:

Ariel the Thief said...

So glad to see this movie here! I saw it a few weeks ago, I just loved it.

Big surprise was Ralph Fiennes, I didn't know he can be this good. Do you remember that scene when the people on the square are standing round Ken who is laying on the ground, and Fiennes just appears at the door of the tower, and all the people are running away in every direction? Makes no sense because they didn't even look in his direction, and even if they'd done, they'd have seen nothing but a man standing in long coat, but you so much believe that that guy had to do nothing to make the crowd immediately understand that they'd better run when this wolf shows up.

TLP said...

I missed this one. Sounds pretty good.

On the post below. I'm sorry that Jane and the Man of the Cloth isn't better. I liked the first of this series.

actonbell said...

Ariel, you're right--Fiennes was incredible! I just adore him.

Mom,you'd love this one. And I hear that this second Jane book is THE weak one.

Doug said...

You know, I haven't been able to make up my mind whether to rent this. I thought Fiennes was fantastic in The Constant Gardener but Farrell has been annoying every time I've seen him. Now I have my answer.

Ariel the Thief said...

Doug, Farrell is a guy constantly chewing on his nails in this movie. You're gonna understand. :)

actonbell said...

Doug, I've never seen Fiennes do a mediocre job! And I agree, Ariel, Farrell's character turns out to be more complex than meets the eye in the beginning.