Thursday, October 09, 2008

I'm not worthy


She calls with something specific to say, but--all I needed to know was when, how many, but--it appears that my answering machine and the unstructuredness of the whole situation do her in.


Hi, Acton and Ekim, this is Connie, and--it's approximately 5:30 pm on Monday, and I do apologize for not calling you earlier. And of course my good wishes go out to both of you. About the meeting, as you know, you have plenty of people--Jodi, Candy, Maureen, Lisa [too many to catch, and I'm not listening again!].........will be coming, and they will indeed gather at X'oclock, and you may not know Maureen, but she's been involved for many years, maybe you'll get to ask her about her experiences. My last experience at meeting was......[I can't believe how fast she talks!]....and it was interesting.........[I'm lost, now].............oh, let me back up a bit and mention that I met another group of people at.....[OMG].....and you may indeed meet them and if you do, if they come back, then we may all be introduced and they are students--well, most of them are indeed students of psychology, except for..[Hello, I don't know these people!]........oh, and then the rain came down in a significant fashion [This is an outdoor gig], but I still got to talk to Lisa, and.........when you have time, Acton, I do want you to call and tell me about your experience this week...Oh, and when you call people to remind them about the meeting, just to make that easier for you, let me point out that I've already reminded Lisa, since she's previously emailed me about it and asked which day we needed her, and oh, Mary doesn't need a reminder, of course, and--Lucille won't forget, but I always leave her a phone message anyway. As you know, I'm sure, Lucille doesn't have email....


BEEP: THE MACHINE CUTS CONNIE OFF AT THIS POINT


So, Connie called back to leave another message, and this time, Ekim decided to dash for the phone, and since she had someone to talk to, Connie actually cut to the chase and told him when she needs me to help out and how many people will be there.


~~~~~~~~~~~


When I call her back, I will just not be able to match her words. It's fascinating, how much she finds to say--and she really is a busy woman with a serious career. I don't know how she does it, and so I'll just call and say a few words because--I'm so not worthy.

13 comments:

Doug said...

Aren't people like that amazing? I'm not worthy, either. I just end up stifling a sigh.

Tom & Icy said...

The cat is so pretty with the three colors!

Ariel the Thief said...

Doug, at least you, Acton and Tom have things to WRITE. Half not worthy. The rest of us have no excuse for being alive.

TLP said...

LOL!!! Too, too funny!

I'm trying to guess who this person is.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Somebody got lost somewhere along the line or in the line or whatever....maybe that was yesterday....i don't know

Balou said...

Oh dear. I am guilty of leaving messages like that. After a while though, I usually say "Ah heck with it, sorry to ramble, delete this message and call me back." :)

Fred said...

I'm the opposite. I leave a message in twenty words or less. Most times, I forget to leave my number.

Fred said...

The Black Box strikes again....

Sean P. Farley said...

"...the rain came down in a significant fashion.."!! I'm sorry, but regardless of the answering-machine-rant, I just LOVE that line. The fact that someone uses it as if it were the most common thing to say...well, that's brilliant. As for the rambling, holy crap, I know people like that. I work with a girl who asked me, "Sean, have you ever worked with someone who just talks and talks and talks, yet has absolutely nothing of importance to say? You know? You know what I mean?" I didn't have the heart to say, "I'm looking at her." Oy.

iriegal said...

I sound silly leaving messages..so I try not to say too much.
Came here by way of the "black box" excellent blog.

Marti said...

Just popping in to say hello. Hope all is well with you.

Doug said...

I hate the black box. Chicken or fish? That's not a choice!

actonbell said...

Doug: I get a lot of Choice A/B's, sometimes twice. And about this funny talking-machine lady: at least, when we're actually together, she lets me get a word in, every once in awhile, so I can feel as if I've contributed.

Tom: yes, calicos are fancy.

Ariel: you don't mean that!

You'll never guess, Mom

Hoss, you're good at this:)

Hi, Balou! This msg would have made you feel succinct. Really.

Fred, me too!

Sean, I love the way she talks. It really makes C stand out in the crowd of talkers, it does.

iriegal, thanks for visiting, and I agree, I always feel as though I should have rehearsed, or something.

Hi, Marti! I hope all is better with you, too:)