Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'm NotThere



This will be a short review, because while watching this film, I wondered if my brain were still there. I was seriously lost.I do understand that the film was attempting to demonstrate what the words "enigmatic" and "multifaceted" mean. Bob Dylan, as a person, may be unknowable. He's told so many stories about his life and woven them into his image and music so thoroughly that it may be hard to fathom him as a man who came from an ordinary, middle class life in Minnesota.

The film depicts Dylan as several characters portrayed by several actors. They all do a superb job, especially Cate Blanchett. Unfortunately, for me, the film did not seem cohesive, as it jumps back and forth from the plausible to the totally out-there tale. The film became tedious and it lost me. I was also very surprised at how unflattering the film was to Bob Dylan.

I'm Not There was annihilated by it's own artsiness. It's a very creative idea that wasn't executed well. In my humble opinion, of course.

2 comments:

TLP said...

huh. Niks wants to see it. He'll be totally confused. But if it's artsty enough, he'll think he likes it.

Ariel the Thief said...

LOL TLP! Someone said that a pretty woman is like a poem, and so can be a movie, it seems.