Sunday, August 10, 2008

Fun with vocabulary


Tartuffe- a hypocrite who feigns virtue







callipygian - having well-shaped buttocks






parapraxis- a slip of the tongue that revels the unconscious mind (a Freudian slip).

bum's rush - a forcible ejection from a place

catachresis- the misuse of words.

schnorrer - one who often takes advantage of others' generosity, often through a sense of entitlement.

garboil - confusion, turmoil

misoneism - hatred or fear of change or innovation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Doug said...

They're boarding my flight, but this is kind of the post I've been waiting to comment on. Later, tater.

TLP said...

uh-oh. Watch out for Doug!

Now, see, this is why I lose to you in Scrabble. No fair knowing words and stuff.

Tom & Icy said...

All those big words, I'd be tripping over my tongue.

Logophile said...

aaaah yes, very nice.
Hope your birthday was fab.

Doug said...

Tartouffe, n. A male tart and reputable.

Callipygian, adj. Offering beauty to the wise admirer.

Parapraxis, n. Involuntary candor.

Bum's Rush, n. The lord's will.

Catachresis, taut. The abuse of English by Greek.

Schnorrer, n. A borer.

Garboil, n. Public introversion.

Misoneism, n. Conservatism. Progressivism. Religion.

actonbell said...

I'm so not worthy:)

TLP said...

That Doug.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I thought garboil was something you would do with eggs. So it goes.

Sean P. Farley said...

Oh, I just love this posting! Do more of these. As an interpreter-to-be, we are required extensive studying of words we wouldn't otherwise use in everyday life so that in the event we do hear them, we can translate them properly. I dread -- or look forward to, I haven't decided -- the day when I might hear the word 'callipygian' and I need to figure out a way to sign 'well-shapped buttox.' Imagine the deaf person's surprise!