Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Decisions, decisions

I've been charged with picking the next book a small number of people read. Below is a list, in no particular order, of books that have caught my eye.

1. Run, by Ann Patchett

2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows

3. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, by Maggie O'Farnell

4. Saving Fish from Drowning, by Amy Tan

5. The Gathering, by Anne Enright

6. The Sea, by John Banville

7. Divisadero, by Michael Ondaatje

8. Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc

9. Family Matters, by Rohinton Mistry

10. Chang and Eng, by Darin Strauss

11. The Line of Beauty, by Alan Hollinghurst

12. Winner of the National Book Award, by Jiney Willett. (no, it didn't win. It's just called that. It gets an A for pluck)

I was going to try to pick an author that would be new to everyone, but decided that wasn't very important.
The Potato Peel book is so popular right now that I'm afraid that it will overlap the other book group that two of our set belong to, and that may also be true of Esme Lennox's tale.

There might not be much for a group to discuss about the imagined biography of Chang and Eng, conjoined twins, even if Joyce Carol Oates says it's wonderful.

Both Random Family and Family Matters might be depressing. I will read them, but perhaps they're not the best group thing.

The Gathering and The Sea were both big award winners, and might be good picks, but I'm most motivated to read either Saving Fish from Drowning or Divisadero. Both of these are by well known authors, which breaks the rule I started out with...

The last book we read was a novelized biography of a struggling Sudanese boy, so perhaps I'll stay away from cultural-political strife this time, and go with Divisadero, by Michael Ondaatje, for the group.

I suppose that wasn't so hard. We probably won't get around to meeting again until early January, which seems like a long time away.

~~~~~~~~
I am definitely taking Doug's and Ariel's advice and reading Chronicle of A Death Foretold, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. They have it waiting for me at the library. Goody goody.



Look! It's Wednesday again. Funny, how that keeps happening. Happy Wednesday.

5 comments:

Doug said...

I might have to read Chronicle of a Death Foretold again. I don't know if this helps, but Chang and Eng reminds me of the trip you and Ekim took to Baltimore a few years back.

TLP said...

I'm not reading anything right now! It's awful. It's terrible. You hafta bring me something when you come on Saturday.

Saving Fish from Drowning is good, but not as good as most of Tan's books. But it was written before the most recent mess in Myanmar but it's spot on about that. I agree it's probably time to avoid cultural-political strife. (Although the book is comic.)

Ariel the Thief said...

I'd very much like to know how you can save a fish from drowning. I think, if I know that, I'll know everything.

January is far, far away in nowhere just yet. Happy reading!

actonbell said...

Doug-it does sound like an Eck bros. story, huh? There should be a novel about them.

Mom, I'll bring over a couple:)

Ariel, tempus fugit. We're planning on meeting sometime around the holidays, and I'm just predicting that it will get pushed back.

actonbell said...

Oh, and Doug, I meant to add: your memory is spoooooooky.