Friday, July 04, 2008

Bang!

It seems that most holidays have become excuses for radio stations to dip into their old music, inspiring nostalgia for various time periods. It happened to me on the way home from a picnic.

When I was a kid, I bought countless 45's at 99 cents a pop, and my family had lots of albums around, but the first full-length album I actually sought out, nagged Dad (Niks) into driving me out to K Mart to buy, with my very own money, was


I just looked up the date of this album, and it came out in 1979, which means that I was 16--how on earth did I get to be that old before buying rock albums? I made up for that late start, though.
It was another blink of the eye before CDs replaced LPs, and I haven't replaced everything, but Damn the Torpedoes is one that I happily bought twice. It still sounds good to me, unlike so much of the other music I liked at the time.

So, name another...

9 comments:

TLP said...

Anything and everything by Simon and Garfunkel.

Ariel the Thief said...

Actonbell, I love your new avatar. Who is she?

ReesePie said...

My first tape was the single for "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys. I listened to it over and over and over. I can still sing you the saxaphone solo from memory...

Tom & Icy said...

It's hard to remember the first album, but I think it was the Rolling Stones.

Doug said...

The first album I remember having, post Free To Be You and Me, that is, was Ray Charles' Genius + Soul = Jazz. But an odd early album/faith-based madness recollection I do have is this: One of the first albums I bought and loved was Who's Next. Leafing through the bible one day I saw a passage about how when you sacrifice a cow to the LORD, you should not sacrifice some rickety old thing on her last legs but a healthy heifer. So I went to my record collection, pulled out Who's Next and broke it into little pieces. I should have known then I'm not right.

Fred said...

I think my first album was from CCR or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I remember some of my early purchases were from The Who.

Logophile said...

I bought my first record when I was 10. It was Hooked on Classics.
My first CD was a best of Roy Orbison.
Tom Petty get some airtime around here and Thing Two can often be heard singing,
"I won't back down, no, I'll stand my ground."
A good song, and given his stubbornness, perhaps his themesong.

tsduff said...

Tom Petty is timeless.

My parents bought me "Meet The Beatles" when I was 9; I fell in love completely.

The first album I ever bought on my own was bought on Santa Monica Blvd at a street fair. I used my allowance money. The album was "American Woman" by The Guess Who. I played ceaselessly, and still love it today... I remember being so surprised to learn they are Canadian.

Bone said...

I think my first 33 was Thriller. It got scratchy but I knew all the places it would skip so I could sing right along to it anyway.

I was still buying cassettes well into the mid-90's, though. I had Matchbox 20's first album on cassette, and eventually replaced that one, too.