Monday, May 19, 2008

Brand new

She came in with her brand new high school year book, excited to look back over her very last year. The book was so large, so colorful, so perfect looking. There was a timeline in front, depicting the world as we know it from 1990 to 2008, all eighteen years of her life. She read it all to me, every word, stumbling over some of the last names. The only trouble spot that surprised me was Cobain. She was just a four year old when Kurt died, so--never mind.

Time evaporates, dries up faster than the wetness on my feet's soles when I'm walking on hot sand. How perfect youth looks, how fast it is gone. Were you----, I was-----. I went to school with your brother. We're having our 25th reunion this year, we'll think of him. And so it goes, is that how is goes? A quarter of a century, just like that.

Did we take enough pictures, to prove we were there? They're not digital, just aging paper, stuffed in albums and shoeboxes. What will the next quarter century bring? Stay tuned....

10 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

It is wonderful when the memories are pleasant and of good times and good friends. But comes a time when the embarrassing thoughts and people we didn't like who hurt us and we hurt them, and things we wanted and ideas we believed that now we see were wrong and useless or silly. I hate those memories and there seems to be no place to escape from them, just grit my teeth or cry.

TLP said...

You should take in your year book to show her!

Wonderful writing. You really need to write a memoir. And don't forget Preston.

Fred said...

One of things that prompted some of us to dust off those old pictures was the death of our very dear friend. We're lucky to have rediscovered each other, but should have never waiting for an untimely death to celebrate our friendship.

Ariel the Thief said...

I am happy there are little writings and photos to remind me of the first 18 years of my life. And the rest.

I loved your writing!

Pavel said...

I'm glad I've visited you after so long. Wonderful post.

Just today I was at classmates.com looking at pictures of my high school friends. Man, that was how long ago?!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I'm STILL watching M.A.S.H. reruns on the telly.

Doug said...

I wonder what a MASH reunion would be like. Do you think Klinger dresses like Britney Spears now?

tsduff said...

Actonbell - I like your post. Icy - I feel like that too sometimes. My yearbooks all got burned up in my house fire so I don't have to look at them anymore.

Doug - There was a reunion of sorts for Mash or at least a special interview - we watched it on Monday night. It was excellent, and the folks were so old = Harry Potter was as good and funny as ever :) Klinger was also good - and said originally his part was just a little part-time gig but grew to be a full time character. He did't look anything like Britney.

G said...

My memories are mixed but I do wish that I had more photos from when I was younger. Terry, my photos too got destroyed in an apartment fire! This was a wonderful post.

Cheesemeister said...

My son graduates from high school on June 7. I guess now I hope for him to find a good woman and I look forward to being a grandmother. I already have the gray hair for it!