Thursday, April 03, 2008

slow train

It's a very quiet morning, as the day is beginning. She enters the small room, quietly and ponderously, staring out the window. I know in a moment where she's looking. "He doesn't work today, and I know that he doesn't have any money. So what's he doing there?" I don't even remember her boyfriend's name. He works at the grocery store next door. Her eyes are focused on that distance so keenly, anxiety and worry almost changing her features. It occurs to me that it is awfully early in the morning to be running out to a grocery store, especially with no money. "I happen to think he's very attractive, but the problem is, so do lots of other girls." It's the first time she's actually spoken directly to me about this situation of hers, and I'm almost touched. I ask if there's someone in particular she's worried about, and she just shrugs and says no, but "he's cheated on everyone else he's ever dated, and I want to make sure it doesn't happen this time."

I don't say anything else. Before she leaves, she picks a couple stray hairs off my sweater. I've been groomed. I wish it were as easy to rid her of her attraction for this young man.

4 comments:

TLP said...

Well, if he's cheated on everyone else, then he'll probably cheat on her. (A grocery store clerk with no money...she aims high, huh?)

Ariel the Thief said...

Poor girl! Easy to get on the slow train, difficult to get off.

G said...

That was written like a play. You have such a talent for turning real life to art.

tsduff said...

Her worries seem well founded. I didn't know you could write like that!