Sunday, April 06, 2008

Saturday night reruns

The Bourne Identity is one of those action-intrigue movies that I find extremely engaging because the characters are appealing and the plot makes sense. At no time, during this movie, did I think that a character's actions were unbelievable. Matt Damon always plays a part well, and we recognized Franka Potente from an incredible German film called Run, Lola, Run. She and Matt Damon are very well matched in this flick. And Chris Cooper is the definitive head operative. One thing I did not notice the first time around is that this is based on a Robert Ludlum novel. Back during my Ken Follett phase, at least a couple people told me that I should give Ludlum a read, too, but I never got around to it. This is a great story. An interesting note: Clive Owen makes an appearance in this film, and I'm not sure I knew who he was back when this film first came out.


The Crying Game continues to be a great flick, even if you do know its secret. Forest Whitaker is Jody, a soldier kidnapped by the IRA, and one of his captors is Fergus, a volunteer activist. Fergus and Jody develop an odd and doomed friendship. Jody confides in Fergus, and urges him to contact Dil, portrayed by Jaye Davidson, with whom he is in love, if he should be killed. This movie develops into a very unusual love story, a fascinating pleasure to watch. Incidentally, Jaye Davidson is no longer making movies, preferring, instead, to work in the fashion industry.

5 comments:

Ariel the Thief said...

I saw The Crying Game many, many, many years ago. I liked it then.

TLP said...

I loved the Crying Game. BTW, if you want to read the Bourne Identity, I have it.

Doug said...

I never saw The Crying Game but will one day. Reading "the secret" in a review before I could see it kind of killed me.

I really like all the Bourne movies for just the reasons you give, including Franke Potente.

By the way, I'm all for everyone with a blog organizing it to their own preferences but I want to double check that you intended to close down comments on Tempest in a Teapot.

actonbell said...

Ariel, it's still good!
Thanks, Mom:)
Doug, I'm letting the Tempest take a total break until I there's something that I'm inspired to share. I'm having one of those blah periods:-0

Doug said...

Blah periods should be at least as tolerable to your friends as they are to you. Have a soak :)

I was pretty sure that was what the painting you posted was meant tp say.